Support more guest screen resolutions

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by STim, Mar 27, 2006.

1. STim

STim Bit poster

Recently we had many requests to make more screen resolutions possible to utilize within the guest OS. Please post your wishes about the resolutions you would like to see supported in the next updates of Parallels Workstation in this thread.

Let me start :)
    1920x1200
    1280*800

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2006
  2. jensw

jensw Member

Wide screen resolutions that you can use in non fullscreenmode would also be fine.
    If you use 1024*768 on the guest as example and the host has 1024*768 it's not
    very comfortable to work, because the taskbar of the host and the title bar of the guest system
    require some space. So some resolutions like 1200*700 (or even a lower height) and
    something around 950*650 would be fine.
    Another option would be displaying scrollbars if the guest window doesn't fit the space on the host.

Best regards,
    Jens

3. tgrogan

tgrogan Pro

Perhaps you could approach it as Win4Lin9x does. The window can be dynamically re-sized and the resolution tracks the re-size in exact units (e.g. - 1176x792). It will then remember that re-size and always startup that size. This may not be possible for a windoze host tho.

4. dcsmrgun

dcsmrgun Bit poster

1680x1050 (iMac Duo native resolution)

5. lscline

lscline Junior Member

1024x768 in fullscreen mode

For the Mac OSX host version.

I plan to use my Macbook Pro for projected presentations. My projector supports XVGA (1024x768), which is a popular projector resolution. I'd like to be able to run the vm at fullscreen at this resolution.

And of course, native Macbook Pro (1440x900) and 23" Cinema display (1920x1200) resolutions would be appreciated as well.

Thank you!

6. rxcited

rxcited Bit poster

No Brainer for OS X

For the OS X version, Dave Gee pretty much covers it here:

http://forum.parallels.com/post182-7.html

It is possible to use non-Apple monitors with Macs, but Parallels for Mac ought to at least cover all the basic Apple standards. When I try to do full screen on my MBP, it says the resolution is not supported by the host. I presume this is because I can't set Parallels to use 1440x900?

How about a "custom" resolution option so the user can just add new sizes as needed? If this were supported, then there would be no need to build in all the funky Apple formats. :D

7. trancepriest

trancepriest Bit poster

2560 x 1600 res in support of the apple 30 inch Cinema Display.

8. elektroholunder

elektroholunder Bit poster

For me it would be very, very helpful if I could take advantage of dual monitor setups - even if only windowed. So two times x resolutions like 2048 x 786 or 2560 x 2048 would be gold.

9. broogle

broogle Bit poster

1440x900
    1280x800

I'm running Linux guests in Windows XP on a 16x10 laptop display.

10. Ynot

Ynot Pro

Seems soon we will have ability to use host native resolutions inside VM, can you tell me is that enough or we need to add some more 'unusual' resolutions?

11. constant

constant Forum Maven

Tony,

That would be enough for me.

12. tgrogan

tgrogan Pro

Ynot,

If you implemented the Win4Lin9x approach, you would never have to answer this question again. :>)

Terry

13. Moondougie

Moondougie Member

I'd like to request 1280 x 768 (not sure what it would take to get that) - this is totally a selfish goal - this is the setting I put my VNCed PC I was using before Parallels was available and let me set up things in a program I use at work - to make it easier to work - get more things on the screen side by side. If this resolution isn't possible, I will understand and put us with the way it is now - like I said, this is a totally selfish, "I want that" request on my part…

14. rhargey

rhargey Bit poster

1689 x 1050 (Imac native resolution)

15. palter

palter Hunter

Here's another vote for native MacBook Pro resolution of 1440x900 and the 23" Cinema Display's native resolution of 1920x1200.

Basically, all widescreen resolutions supported by the MacBook Pro, the Intel iMac screens, and the 20", 23", and 30" Cinema Displays would be a good idea.

16. Digital Fury

Digital Fury Bit poster

1680x1050 for the 20" iMac

17. damiang

damiang Bit poster

MacMini Core Duo w/ 20" Apple Monitor

1680x1050:)

18. oldlibmike

oldlibmike Bit poster

Additional resolutions

I use my Mac MINI on a Sharp Aquos television and for an HD resolution, 1366 x 768 would be desirable. This completely fills most 720p HD televisions when in native resolution. NOTE - For the OS X side of the house, I had to use a 3rd party tool (SwitchResX) to even get that on OS X, but it is a common resolution for HDTVs.

19. MRKisThatKid

MRKisThatKid Bit poster

Has there been any update on this? I'm dying to have parallels fill the whole screen on my 20" iMac. Best i've managed is 1400x1050, which is at least the correct DPI, but with big black borders down the sides.

20. brettw

brettw Member

new 17" MBP is 1680x1050