"New USB device detected" device names?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by D-an-W, Mar 27, 2011.

1. D-an-W

D-an-W Member

When a USB device is attached with Parallels running a box pops up asking you which OS you want to attach the device to (See attachment).

Does anyone know where Parallels gets the name from for the device and if it can be reset (Stored in a file somewhere that can be deleted for example)?

Sometimes it displays a #2 after the name and I would like to "reset" this and start afresh.

Attached Files:

2. D-an-W

D-an-W Member

Anyone able to help with this question please?

3. TamaraK

TamaraK Member

Hello D-an-W,

When connecting your USB device you can see the name that was given to the device by its manufacturer. Parallels Desktop simply reads the name of the chip and transmits it to the "New USB device detected" window. Nevertheless, in virtual machine you will see the same name that you have given to the device manually.

4. D-an-W

D-an-W Member

Hi Tamara, thanks for the reply.

I understand that about the name but as Parallels thinks this is the third iPad that has been detected it follows it with a
    #2 and now as my iPad has actually been replaced #3.

What I would like to do is "reset" this so it simply shows Apple iPad and not Apple iPad #3 as seen in this screenshot.

Attached Files:

5. TamaraK

TamaraK Member

D-an-W, I will now create a trouble ticket for you, one of the tech support engineers will be contacting you soon

6. D-an-W

D-an-W Member

Ok, thanks!

I know it's just a cosmetic thing which is why I asked on the forum but hopefully the tech support folks will be able to help me.

7. Kathleen R

Kathleen R Member

My guess is that it picks it up from the device itself. So it detects my Logitech mouse. My window is different though. I'm running Parallels 5 so maybe you are running a different version. The thing I've had trouble with is my printer which I usually have to unplug from the hub for a bit when I want to switch sides for printing so it will ask me. Haven't figured that all out yet.

8. D-an-W

D-an-W Member

A remove / reinstall of Parallels (Not my VM's) as advised by the support folks solved the issue.

I know the information is stored in Mac HD/Library/Preferences/Parallels/dispatcher.desktop.xml but if this is deleted it is just remade on Parallels launch with the same information so it must be reading it from somewhere else.

Thanks support for you very prompt assistance with this matter :)

9. ImSeeker

ImSeeker Member

Did it solve the issue by resetting the ipad name, or were you able to rename devices after the reinstall?

I have about 5 external drives with all sorts of names, and i'd like to rename them to something that makes it clear what the drive is for.