Parallels Tools

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by tomm, Apr 16, 2006.

1. tomm

tomm Junior Member

I purchased the Pre-Order PV and am using the beta3, but I can't figure out how to install the Tools and I can't find it; it's not in the installer and may be the reason that the sound or copy and pastt does not work for me.

I wonder why is it so carefully hidden or why I can't find it.

thanks
    tom

2. backtothemac

backtothemac Member

Once the VM is launched. Click VM in the menu and then choose install tools.

3. n4khq

n4khq Member

On my MBP if you are upgrading, The first time you select install tools, it removes the tools and restarts. The second install the beta 3 tools. If you run it a third time it removes the tools. Fourth time installs. etc.

4. hevans

hevans Bit poster

So how do you know if they are installed or not?

I have selected download tools... but there was never any confirmation or progress bar... and I have no idea where to find them when installed... Any insights?

hevans

5. JakePratt

JakePratt Junior Member

I played around with this for a bit as well. It seemed to me that it would not install if I had a CD in the drive. Once I removed the CD and rebooted the Guest OS, it installed.

6. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

1. Parallels Tools are available only for guest Windows (9x/NT/2000/XP/2003).
    2. To install Parallels Tools you should boot guest OS and then click on menu VM->Install Parallels Tools.

After that Parallels Tools CD ISO should be automatically mounted and Paralells Tools setup should be automatically started.

PS: There are some problems in Beta3 with correct recognition of changed CD status. So sometimes Parallels Tools setup fails to start automatically (via Windows autorun). In that case one should browse CD in guest OS and start setup manually.

7. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Junior Member

I am having a pretty frustrating issue with tools in beta4 on my MBP running WinXP ProSP2 as my guest OS. When I try to install the tools, all seems to go well, until PW Tools tells me it needs a specific mouse driver from the WinXPProSP2 CD. Problem is, although that DVD-ROM is in the drive, the D: drive has been "commandeered" by the PW Tools folder. And I cannot eject it and swap the real DVD for it.

I've tried everything I can, using a disk image for the CD/DVD, starting up from the DVD, setting the DVD disk image as a separate hard drive, etc., and no matter what, I get to this spot where PWTools needs to get to these drivers and I cannot access them. The last thing I am going to try is to copy over the entire SP2 folder to a second dard drive I added to PW. Maybe that will work.

This little utility install shouldn't be this hard, should it?

8. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Junior Member

FWIW, copying over the SP2 folder from the install disk to the documents folder while an admin made all the difference for the PW Tools installation. Worked, and now, after a couple of hours of going nuts, I have mouse agnosticism. ;-)

9. cyberchucktx

cyberchucktx Junior Member

If you have the disk space, I went ahead made an image of the XP install disk, THEN did the installation (full install + PT install).

Everything went very smoothly.

Now a question: any timeline on a PT for the LINUX guest OS?

C