Parallels Tools Fails to compile against kernel 2.6.38 (Fedora Core 15/Unbuntu 11.04)

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by NBW2011, May 25, 2011.

1. NBW2011

NBW2011 Bit poster

The title says it all. Could be related to the issue posted in http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=107514. Here's the log -

make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet'
    cd prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg && make
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg'
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.38.6-26.rc1.fc15.x86_64/build SUBDIRS=/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg SRCROOT=/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg modules
    make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.38.6-26.rc1.fc15.x86_64'
    CC [M] /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.o
    /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.c: In function ‘replace_buffer’:
    /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.c:749:33: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size [-Wint-to-pointer-cast]
    /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.c: In function ‘prl_vtg_ioctl’:
    /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.c:852:34: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size [-Wint-to-pointer-cast]
    /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.c:901:34: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size [-Wint-to-pointer-cast]
    /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.c: At top level:
    /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.c:972:2: error: unknown field ‘ioctl’ specified in initializer
    /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.c:972:2: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type [enabled by default]
    /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.c:972:2: warning: (near initialization for ‘prl_vtg_fops.aio_read’) [enabled by default]
    make[3]: *** [/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.o] Error 1
    make[2]: *** [_module_/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg] Error 2
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.38.6-26.rc1.fc15.x86_64'
    make[1]: *** [prl_tg] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg'
    make: *** [all] Error 2

This is all with Parallels Desktop Build 6.0.11994 (Revision 637263; February 17, 2011) on OS X 10.6.7.

-Noah

2. timur

timur Member

I'm looking forward to this fix. I hate having to wait for Parallels to add support for newer Linux versions. I want to upgrade to Fedora 15, but I'll wait until Parallels supports it. I just hope it's quick.

3. RicardoJ

RicardoJ Bit poster

Ditto

Thanks

4. JEarles

JEarles Hunter

Have you gotten the latest build?

http://kb.parallels.com/en/111319

With this build I've successfully installed Parallels Tools on Ubuntu 11.04, Fedora 15 and Mint 11. With some system tweaks I have also gotten them installed on Chakra.

5. RicardoJ

RicardoJ Bit poster

Yes, I have the latest Parallels build, but I cannot install the tools on my Fedora 15 virtual machine.

The Parallels Tools are running fine on my Fedora 14 machine.

6. RicardoJ

RicardoJ Bit poster

Hi BobbyR,

I'm running Fedora 15 on my MAC without the Parallels Tools, until a new release takes care of the issue.