Wireless connection issues and file-sharing

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by JennyB, Mar 24, 2010.

1. JennyB

JennyB Bit poster

Hi,

hi there,

I'm new to linux and parallels, but need to run some software on my mac which will only run on certain flavours of linux (in this case Mandriva 2010). I have a macbook pro with snow leopard.

I am having problems getting the vm to connect through my macs wireless network. When I boot up linux the network configuration window pops up asking for the wireless driver, and searching for a 'windows driver (with nciswrapper)' or something like that, which in then can't find.

I am alittle confused as I thought this was meant to be somewhat dealt with by the VM network configuration (where I've told it to use 'Bridged Networking - Airport' - but I suppose if it doesn't recognise the drivers...

For purposes of elimination, the internet is working fine on my macbook pro, no firewalls or anything.

If I need to download a driver for it (and I'm having fun finding one right now anyway) how would I go about getting it from say, a file on my desktop to one in the vm? I suppose a connected question is how I set up file sharing between my linux vm and mac os, since that's what I'd need to do and what I'd be doing alot of anyway.

I wouldn't mind - but if nothing else the internet may be an easy way of sharing files (eg through email attachments) and it wont install parallels tools as it can't connect to the internet to download the missing components it needs.

Many thanks,

Jenny

2. KathrynA

KathrynA Bit poster

Problems Connecting my WinXP VM to my MacOS Wireless Network

I too am having this problem on my VM! I am running Parallels 4.0 on my Mac OS X which is currently running Snow Leopard (v. 10.6.6). Like you, I have absolutely no problem, whatsoever, accessing the internet on my Mac OS X, but when I attempt to access the internet from my Windows XP VM... I Can't!!! It is absolutely FRUSTRATING!! Now it is getting to the point where it is becoming VERY SERIOUS, because I have an interactive PDF form, that I can only upload from the WinXP version of Adobe Acrobat. But since I can't connect to the internet from my Windows VM, I obviously, cannot upload the file to the Adobe FormsCentral website!!!

If ANYBODY, has ANY IDEAS, as to how I might correct this problem so that I can connect my WinXP VM to the internet and thus be able to upload my form to the Adobe FormsCental website, I would GREATLY, GREATLY APPRECIATE THE HELP!!

3. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Jenny, Kathryn,

make sure that VM is in Shared Networking mode. If this doesn't help, please click Start -> Run and execute cmd.exe. Maximize the window. Type in the appeared window command "ipconfig /all". Then, without closing the window, click Parallels Destkop menu "Help"->"Report a Problem", send a problem report (it is not necessary to provide description) and post here the report ID.

PS: it is possible to switch to Shared Networking in the VM Configuration or while Windowed-mode using status-bar at the bottom of Parallels Desktop window

4. PL3R7HM

PL3R7HM Bit poster

Wireless connection issue

Hi,

I am having the same issue with Wireless within my Windows 7 VM.
    MacBook Air
    Leopard 10.6.7

Here is my Report ID: 9029127

5. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Hi, PL3R7HM :)

Did you upgraded WinXP to Windows 7 recently?

In your case you need to install Parallels Tools. Also, I'd suggest to change OS-Type from WindowsXP to the correct Windows7. It can be done from the menu Virtual Machine -> Configure -> General

Parallels Tools can be installed (while Virtual Machine is running) using the menu "Virtual Machine" -> "Install Parallels Tools". Please carefully read the appeared message box, because you may need to click MyComputer -> CDRom if installation does not start automatically

6. PL3R7HM

PL3R7HM Bit poster

Fixed!

Elric

:D

You got me! I upgraded to Win7 from XP, and did not switch the vm type in the location you provided (didn't know I had to, but I know now!). Then I reinstalled the Parallels Tools, and it worked flawlessly!

Thank you so much for your support!