Setting up networking for Ubuntu 10.04 server with Parallels Desktop 5

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by AuberonX, Jun 4, 2011.

1. AuberonX

AuberonX Bit poster

Hi all,

I just installed Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Server (no GUI!) on Parallels Desktop 5. It works great. It's networking is automatically set up to get an IP via DHCP from my router.

The issue is: how can I access the Ubuntu image when I am on the move, i.e. there is no router around?

I suppose I could set up a local DHCP server on my Macbook (running 10.6). I was just wondering whether anyone had any good ideas of how to best access the Ubuntu image when I am on the move? Any best practice approaches someone could share with me?

Any idea whether Parallels could provide an IP to the Ubuntu image?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
  2. AuberonX

AuberonX Bit poster

Solved

Setting prefs to "shared networking" and a restart of my host machine did the trick.
    It didn't work initially -- and network connectivity was lost all together, hence the restart. Works now.

3. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Hi
    It is most likely because not all linux distros catches reconnect of networking and does renew of IP address. So, sometimes on linux while switching between bridged/shared networkings it is required to restart networking in guest.

To make it work after switch in Ubuntu 10.4, execute in terminal command
    "sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart" (without quotes). This should do the trick