Bug/Feature Disable Ctrl+Click for Right Click

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by scottdelap, Apr 20, 2006.

1. scottdelap

scottdelap Junior Member

I have an external mouse hooked to my powerbook so I don't need the simulated ctrl+click for a right click. However when I'm in parallels this combination is still registered as such. Microsoft remote desktop doesn't register a control+click a right click when I'm connected to a machine. It would be nice if parallels also had some sort of way to change the ctrl+click = right click modifier as well.

2. scottdelap

scottdelap Junior Member

Expanding on this issue. The reason I want this feature is that I use Eclipse for Java development. On the OS X version of Eclipse if you hold down the Apple key and left click on a class it is opened in the editor view. In Windows this key combination is ctrl+click. When running Windows XP in Parallels however the ctrl+click is caught and translated to a right click before Eclipse receives the ctrl+click combination. If I remote desktop into a windows PC using the OS X version of RDC I can change the right click "simulator" to something else like ctrl+shift+click thus allowing me to use the ctrl+click combination in the windows environment I'm connected to.

3. pman3003

pman3003 Bit poster

I agree, this has to be implemented very soon. I am not able to use many of the shortcuts in MS Office for now (ctrl+F1 for example). Nor can I mark several elements in explorer by holding down the ctrl-butten, it just acts as I have right-clicked.

But otherwise, this software is great! Makes me able to have a mac and still use ms office for windows, the best of two worlds. :)

4. kevco

kevco Junior Member

I would think ctrl-F1 should work. AFAIK ctrl-click is the only thing that works different than expected. If you're using a MacBook keep in mind that F1 is actually the brightness control. If you want to send F1 you need to hit fn-F1 so the shortcut would actually need ctrl-fb-F1.

5. dweebert

dweebert Member

Even those of us not using external mice would appreciate the ability to specify how right and middle clicks should be transmitted. Control-click is a pain in Windows, because you kind of need it to do multiple selections.

6. cypher

cypher Bit poster

I completely agree. Ctl is almost the worst key to use for this with Windows. I hope future versions will allow users to assign the key (or key combo).

7. dweebert

dweebert Member

And while we're hinting at providing preferences for mouse and keyboard...

Is there any chance we could have a "disable Windows key" option? I really don't need the Windows key in my VM, and I'd much prefer to have my command key reserved for Mac operations.

8. wesley

wesley Pro

This problem has been posted in a thread before, but I don't think I've seen a Parallels guy responding to it. Is this because the ctrl-click behaviour is implemented on the OS X level and thus needs to go through a few hoops to get it disabled? I remember VirtualPC didn't have problem disabling it so it can be done...