Upgrade and XP SP2

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by pgflrob, Jan 12, 2010.

1. pgflrob

pgflrob Bit poster

I have XP2 running under Parallels Desktop for Mac version 2. I want to upgrade to Parallels Desktop for Mac Version 5. Has anyone been able to get an upgrade to work? Are there special instructions?

Oh, and has any one ever used Parallels support?

2. I-che

I-che Pro

3. pgflrob

pgflrob Bit poster

Thank you so much for your reply. I read the KB article and I guess I did not make myself clear. Before I buy the upgrade Parallels upgrade I wanted to test the process to upgrade XP. Last time I upgraded Parallels from V1 to V2, I had to re-install XP from scratch. I do not want to do that again. Could you please post up the instructions that are mentioned in the KB article?

Thanks.

4. I-che

I-che Pro

Hi pgflrob,
    Please note that you can use trial version of Parallels Desktop 5 for 14 days.
    For your convenience, you can backup existing virtual machine prior to upgrade (simply copy .hdd file from /Users/your_user_name/Library/Parallels and save it in a safe place on a hard disk or on external drive). Then, download and install Parallels Desktop 5 from here:
    http://www.parallels.com/download/desktop/
    Start Parallels Desktop from /Applications; it will locate existing virtual machine and will start upgrade process. Follow the wizard to complete the procedure.

5. pgflrob

pgflrob Bit poster

That is what I did. I copied the XP VM to a safe location. Then I downloaded the trail. Installed. Then tried to convert the VM and it started to work, but at every step it hung at what might be the conclusion of the step for hours. I could just kill the process and if I went back in the process would start and then hang near the end of the next step I'm guessing.

I figured I was doing something wrong. I just assumed there were more detailed instructions.

6. I-che

I-che Pro

Hi pgflrob,
    I have created support ticket for you, please check your mailbox.

7. KathrynA

KathrynA Bit poster

Please Clarify this...

So if I understand you correctly, I can make a backup of my current Parallels XP VM and then download the trial version of the new Parallels, and if for some reason everything goes haywire, I be able to go back to using my old VM w/ my old version of parallels??

I need to make ABSOLUTELY SURE that I can do this before I try to upgrade my machine b/c if for some reason it all "goes 2 worms" I need to be able to restore the files that I currently have on my VM. Will I be able to do this??