Can I delete this?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by NeptuneNancy, Jun 14, 2011.

1. NeptuneNancy

NeptuneNancy Bit poster

Hi! I'm currently running Parallels 6, build 12090, Win XP on my Mac Book Pro (OS X 10.6.7). I am running out of space on my Mac's hard drive, so I'm trying to reduce Parallels' footprint, without much success. (My Mac HD is essentially all applications, as my data resides on an external drive, so moving files off the hard drive isn't an option.)

I've tried removing all of my snapshots to compress the Parallels harddrive, but keep getting the following error in trying to remove the last snapshot I have:

"Not enough free space to merge the snapshots.

Free some disk space on the physical hard disk and try again."

(This error appeared in my previous build, 11992, and upgrading to 12090 this morning didn't help matters.)

I have been running some version of Parallels since getting my Mac in late 2006, so I might have some "legacy" files/folders in my Parallels folder. This is what I currently have under <username>/Library/Parallels: (not the standard installation in <username>/Documents, and I don't know why. Perhaps it's left over from earlier installations...)

1) Explorer/temp (an empty directory)
    2) WindowsXP.pvs (a Parallels configuration file, 4KB, last opened 4/09...)
    3) winxp (original) (a 25.26 GB folder containing the following, and created/modified March 2009):

unattended.fdd
    Windows Applications (folder)
    Windows Disks (folder - click on this and get "C", an alias)
    winxp.hdd (a Parallels VM hard disk image, 25.21 GB, last opened 11/09)
    winxp.pvs (Parallels VM configuration, 4KB, last opened 3/09)

4) winxp.pvm (60.37 GB package, last modified 6/11 - this is, I believe, my current VM...)

My question - what is the winxp (original) folder, and can I safely delete it, thereby gaining 25 needed gigabytes on my Mac hard drive?

Thanks in advance~

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  2. NeptuneNancy

NeptuneNancy Bit poster

winxp (original) folder must have been an earlier backup

I got impatient, so I deleted the winxp (original) folder, with no ill effects.

I moved it to the Trash initially, restarted Parallels and Windows XP, and once I verified that everything was running OK, I emptied the Trash. Restarted Parallels and Windows one more time, and everything seems to be running very well.

Nice to have 28.8 GB free once again!