The site itself

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by deathshadow, Apr 22, 2006.

1. deathshadow

deathshadow Member

I love the product, but the site itself needs some work... fixed pixel height font sizes that are WAY too malfing tiny if you are 'above' the default system metrics, fixed width site that looks like crap at higher OR lower than 800x600, inconsistant font sizes in places as some things are done in PT, others are done in PX... Dynamic page width is so simple, I don't know why so many site designers shun it like the plague, especially given how unpolished and amaturish it can make a website look when you view it at 1280x1024 or higher.

It's just a nitpick I realize, but it does make the site feel a bit less than professional... You've probably got better things to work on and I understand that, just something to keep in the back of your mind for the next (if any) incarnation of the site.

Besides, I'm running Opera, so I can just blow the WHOLE site up larger as need be...

2. tgrogan

tgrogan Pro

Gee, you've never been on a site that someone posts a URL that is as long as several lines, and then all of the posts need to be scrolled over to the right to read them because they were using dynamic re-sizing. Life is a series of trade-offs and HTLM, et al is a technology that forces a lot of trade-offs - and none pretty when dealing with open input.

3. deathshadow

deathshadow Member

Actually, I have, and those sites are badly coded . Because if you use the CSS property "Overflow:auto" it should force that one post and one post only to have a scrollbar.

and that behavior you are complaining about is consistant whether you use dynamic or fixed layout. The only way around that behavior is to use a browser that supports the 'Word-Break' CSS 3 property (IE or Safari 1.3) or to use the php back-end to insert a extra space on words that are too long... Which is what this message board does! (I happen to know how vBulliten works)

ThisReallyLongTextIsNotBrokenUpAtTheContainerBorderButByThePHPInsertingSpacesEvery48CharactersOrSoWhichIsWhyItsWrappingSoFunnyAndSuddenlyHasASpaceInTheMiddleOfTheWordBorderUpAbove.