Parallels6/Win7 on new iMac Core-i7

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by LUKES, Jun 13, 2011.

1. LUKES

LUKES Junior Member

I currently have the latest version of Parallels 6 on my 24" iMac Core-2-Duo and it is running flawlessly.

Next week I will upgrade my machine to a 27" iMac with Core-i7 and 8GB memory.

I can probably just save my VM on the current machine to an external hard drive and copy it over to the new machine after Parallels 6 is installed there.

Question: Given the huge resource pool in the new i7 machine and the large RAM, is there an optimum setting for the Parallels install ? How much memory, how many processor cores, etc.

2. Cinemagic

Cinemagic Junior Member

I have an iMac core i7 with 16GB RAM. I have allotted 4 of the 8 processors and 8 of the 16 GB RAM to Parallels (Win 7). It mostly will depend upon what types of Windows applications and the number of windows applications open at once you plan to employ. The less resources you allocate, the slower Windows will get.

3. LUKES

LUKES Junior Member

Thank you for your comments.

Core i7 processors actually have 4 cores but they each run two threads at a time so in a sense it's 8. I am guessing that Parallels recognizes the processor as an 8 core device. Correct ?

My use of Windows is fairly limited, so I am hoping that I can assign 2 processors and 2GB RAM and get decent performance.