does parallel really work?

Discussion in 'Parallels Workstation for Windows and Linux' started by hnhelton, Feb 14, 2007.

1. hnhelton

hnhelton Bit poster

I am a pc user and I need of a new desktop. My son and friends have macs. I have hundreds of pc documents created in wordperfect. I do all my finances on a windows financial program. I have research software; all windows based.

So, will parallel take care of my documents, software needs until I have completely turned over everything to mac software?

I heard that the computer slows down using parallel. Is this true? Will the 17", 512 ram, 160 gig harddrive mac desktop take care of my needs while using parallel.

I need a "parallel" user to answer.
    Thanks,
    hnhelton

2. SteveRichards

SteveRichards Junior Member

You don't say what OS you will be virtualizing but I presume it is XP.

First, 512MB is not sufficient. You will want at a minimum 1GB and probably 2GB would be better.

A dual processor version (core 2 duo) of the MAC would be a good choice and make your performance acceptable (with the 1GB+ memory).

I can't speak for the stability of a MAC host.

3. lijan

lijan Bit poster

4. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

YES YES YES since June 2006

yes put in 2 gb memory
    all machines ship with a minimum memory to keep the list price down

Do not go this way if you want major graphics for the latest games - use a dedicated WIn Xp sp2 growling games work station

Most of us long term mac users use 2 screens so add a 22 inch to the 17 inch

best to keep documents backed up on an external hard drive or on the web PC or Mac or on a networked file server x 2

I do my online banking x 4 on parallels
    a VM has to be managed like any other WinXp machine
    avoid vista just now - one system new to you would be enough to cope with
    it will take you a few weeks to learn

so maintain your old system as a back up

Hugh W