Force eject CD

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by joem, Apr 23, 2006.

1. joem

joem Forum Maven

Some guest software assumes a hardware eject button which the MacBook doesn't have. Parallels should always respond to the keyboard eject button as if it were part of the CD hardware and not pass anything to the guest, making it work just like the assumed hardware.

Right now, in beta 4, I have to disconnect the CD, click outside the console window, hit eject, reconnect the CD. It's usable in that it gets the job done, but it could be more convenient and intuitive.

Please consider it for the shipping version.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2006
  2. deathshadow

deathshadow Member

Might not even be POSSIBLE, given how many times I've had the mac lock up so bad that the power switches don't even respond and I have to either unplug and rip out the battery, or go dig for a paper clip to force it out...

Which is why my taste in Mac's runs towards the laptops, so I can replace their tinker-toy drives with a real one with a actual EJECT button (the horrors)

3. joem

joem Forum Maven

Ummm... You can replace the superdrive in a MacBook with one with an eject button??? Clue me in as to how, and which model. That would be a nice touch.

4. deathshadow

deathshadow Member

\
    To be honest, I haven't looked closely enough at the MacBook to say one way or the other if it could be swapped for a standard notebook drive. I know all the Powerbooks WILL take a standard notebook drive though - assuming that drive lets you manually set it's IDE channel to master or you are willing to short the pins to force that... For example my G3 iBook has a Lite-On DVD writer in it.

Given that they've gotten rid of the tray and went to friction feed on the latest generation books it limits your choices on replacement drives - it looks like another way they are sleazing their way back to proprietary componants for no good reason... I hate friction feed - Whoo-hoo, broken and scratched CD's here we come.

From the pictures online though it looks like a standard notebook IDE connector and form factor... Meaning if you are handy with a hacksaw and file you could easily replace that POS friction feed drive with any mainstream off-the-shelf DVD+/-RW. (HOPEFULLY by now Apple has switched to cable select, if you still have to short to force it to master something is REALLY wrong with them)

Hell, given the way Apple does just buy OEM and repack on certain componants, I'd not be surprised if the drive that's in there HAS the wiring for a on-drive eject; it might even have the switch. They probably just sealed it off from access with the bezel like they did on a number of the powerbook G4 drives - drill a hole, suspend a small plastic or metal rod in the hole as a button and done!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2006