[MAC] Open with... a Windows App

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by zerofractal, Jan 4, 2007.

1. zerofractal

zerofractal Bit poster

The current beta creates an app file for each executed windows application.

It would be increible to be able to right click a file in OSX, for example "file1.xls" and select Open With... Other... and be able to select a WIndows application from ~/Library/Parallels/My Parallels VM/WIndows Applications, for example Microsoft Excel.

Currently excel opens but not the file. This is logical since parallels cannot access the Mac HD directly, but would be a killer option for all the people that are tired of using a non universal app such as Office.

If this was possible I would even check the Always open with checkbox!

2. neonuke

neonuke Bit poster

Yes please

Yeah that would be great! I'm using office XP through parallels, and right now if I want to open a file, I need to first open word then browse to the file.

Actually parallels can already access files from the mac partition through the "Shared Folders". It's so close, I mean the app can be placed in the dock, you can see the .app in the Finder, the VM can access the file through the shared folder, but just doesn't open the file straight from the Finder.

I'd be so happy if this was implemented. :)

3. Lev

Lev Bit poster

And the only thing after that would be set applications to automatically open in windows, using the file1.xls example, you could just double click and have it automatically launch the VM and open excel. I've got my fingers crossed

4. omero

omero Member

Count me in on that, it would be wonderful :)

5. nagha

nagha Bit poster

Always Open With (Windows app)

I want to use Parallels to run WinOffice as my default Office suite. The ability to for default open with paired with the ability for WinWord or WinExcel to report to the system what kinds of files it can open would be amazing.

6. stuffmc

stuffmc Bit poster

Same thing with me... It would also really help Web Developers... Imagine other programs like Dreamweaver or Photoshop to have the Windows browser in the list, or Safari having Firefox Windows (for me the best browser, Firefox is too slow, even on my mac pro !) as the "standard browser".