Upgraded OSX 10.6.8 now CD/DVD Broke

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by NOYB111, Jun 26, 2011.

1. NOYB111

NOYB111 Bit poster

Upgraded to OSX 10.6.8 and now Parallels Desktop 5 reports CD/DVD unavailable, used by another program or missing files and cannot be connected. Anyway I can fix this?

2. w2m3

w2m3 Bit poster

experiencing same problem

In addition to the 100% CPU Dock issue after I installed 10.6.8, I'm having the same trouble with my DVD drive as you describe. I can't attach the drive to my Windows 7 VM any longer.

3. NOYB111

NOYB111 Bit poster

Mine seems to be working now. I successfully ripped a DVD, burned a single layer and burned a dual layer DVD. I am not sure if it is because I upgraded Desktop 5 to Desktop 6 or if it was because of the instructions from support. Below is the response I got from Tech Support about my issue. You basically remove the CD/DVD and re-add it. Try it, it may help...

1. Start the Parallels Desktop but do not start the Virtual Machine.

2. Right click on the Virtual Machine in list of Virtual Machine and choose configure.

3. Once the configuration Window will open, Choose the "Hardware" tab. Now, click the "CD/DVD1" option in the left panel and further click the "-" minus sign to remove it.

4 In order to add the network card , Click the Add button (+) in the bottom part of the Virtual Machine Configuration dialog and select the "CD/DVD1" device to be added to your Virtual Machine.

5. Click Ok and start the Windows Xp Virtual Machine.

4. DeShawnB

DeShawnB Hunter

Hey JessicaS,

Did you try out the above workaround from NYOB111?

5. JonEpner

JonEpner Bit poster

Found a fix for this

Trying to upgrade, or rather replace my Windows XP 32 bit in Parallels 6 with Windows 7 64 bit.

Could not get Windows XP to see the contents of the install DVD, instead it showed it as a Network Drive, but I couldn't set that up as a boot device.

In the VM configuration menu I saw that I had 2 different DVD drives, Matshita DVD-R UJ-898 and also UJ-895. I changed the selected model to UJ-898 and almost immediately after saving the settings a not popped up to tell me that the installer I was using was not compatible with the XP 32 bit OS.

I changed the boot order to start with DVD. Now it said attempting to boot from DVD, press any key to boot from DVD, but it would then go on to boot into XP anyway.

I saw in one of the much earlier posts that someone recommended also changing the bios. I hit the F2 key on restart and it went into the very limited BIOS (I think that's what it was) that gave me 2 options: Windows Setup and Windows memory configuration. When I chose Windows Setup it booted from the DVD and installed Windows 7 (or rather it started to, it hasn't finished yet).

In case anyone was wondering, you can not select Upgrade when installing Windows 7 64 bit over Windows XP 32 bit, it wont work because the installer isn't recognized by XP.