Is Parallels 6 compatible with OSX Lion?

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by raptor51, Jun 21, 2011.

1. raptor51

raptor51 Bit poster

I am thinking about upgrading to Lion as soon as it is released in July, but I really need to be able to use my VM's.

Will parallels 6 be able to operate on Lion until a parallels 7 is released, or do I need to wait to get lion if I want to be able to continue using parallels?

Does anyone know if 7 is "officially" in the works yet, and if so do we have an estimated delivery date, and or a way to find out more about it?

(I have searched for this info here and everywhere else I could think of but have been entirely unsuccessful in coming up with any answers. Any reliable info would be greatly appreciated.)

2. relever

relever Bit poster

This is the question of the day!

Can the developer of the code please provide guidance for the many Mac users contemplating upgrading to Lion/iOS5/iCloud

3. w7ox

w7ox Hunter

Same question here. I'm about to install P6, but won't bother if it's going to cause OS X 10.7/Lion issues.

Phil

4. Kenneth Holley

Kenneth Holley Junior Member

PD6 & Mac OS X Lion

All -

I rolled out the developer master gold version of Lion on my MacBook Air earlier today ... followed that with an installation of PD6 (fully patched). PD6 *does* run on Lion, no problems thus far with several Windows (various flavors) guests, both 32 and 64-bit.

Best,

KH

5. pdonoghu

pdonoghu Bit poster

Great news. Now we need to find out if one upgrades an existing OS X install with Lion if the existing Parallels 6 and VMs will continue to work with out requiring a reinstall of Parallels.

6. Kenneth Holley

I did that very thing last night - updated PD6 to the latest build, ran an install of Lion (master gold) on my Mac Pro. The only issue encountered dealt with Mac Spaces (which I make heavy use of) ... Simply had to reset Spaces back to a single Desktop, launch a PD VM, then expand Spaces out to x number of Desktops. So far no performance or other issues with PD6 running a variety of Windows VMs.

Best,

Ken

7. CasperB

CasperB Bit poster

I upgraded to Lion GM last night. Parallels will NOT run on it. It complains:

"Your virtual machine may run slow because virtualization support is disabled on your Mac. For optimal support, please enable hardware virtualization support in your Mac's firmware."

After a number of similar messages it quits.
    This is running the newest macbook pro quadcore i7.

8. Kenneth Holley

Thus far I've done a clean Lion / PD6 install on a new MacBook Air and an in-place Lion upgrade on a 2008 Mac Pro and 2009 MacBook Pro - no issues to report (performance or otherwise) with PD6 on any of those platforms. In fact - and perhaps, oddly - PD6 actually "feels" as though it's performing better (nothing solid to quantify that "feeling", though).

Best,

Ken

9. iDomiX

iDomiX Bit poster

Mounting the Windows HDD on Desktop don't work on GM Lion

Hi!

Everything works okay, but i can't mount the Windows HDD on Mac OS X Desktop 10.7 GM.

Can anyone mount the Windows HDD? On Snow Leopard there is no problem.

Bw

Dominik

10. Kenneth Holley

Mounting the Windows drive on the Mac Desktop isn't something that I normally do, however I just attempted and am seeing the same results that you report. Interestingly, since the Lion install on my Mac Pro I can't access my USB-connected Drobo (NTFS formatted) ... so the issue with accessing the PD6 Windows HDD and my Drobo access are likely related ... something to do with Lion's ability to read NTFS. I'll have to dig into it.

Best,

Ken

11. iDomiX

iDomiX Bit poster

Hey Ken,

thanks for the feedback. A NTFS-Formatted USB-Disk will be mounted on Lion. But i need the access on the Windows HardDisk from Lion. I am using a very important Windows-Program that creates formatted individual Word-Documents. So the program on Windows creates the Word-Doc and Microsoft Word for Mac 2011 opens the created Document that is located on the Windows Drive.

On Snow Leopard this procedure works very well and on Lion it will not work. Hopefully Parallels fix this problem very soon...

BW,
    Dominik

12. BarrettJ

BarrettJ Bit poster

I'm also having issues with mounting my virtual machine's (non-bootcamp) HDD (which used to work before I updated to Lion).

As a work around, I can still drag files from windows explorer onto the desktop of my mac, but this isn't nearly as convenient.

13. Ronin9306

Ronin9306 Bit poster

I think this is a very sorry state of affairs - Lion is due for release next Thursday and the developers can't be bothered to reply to the concerns of Parallels users. Poor customer service or what!!!

14. ashleykaryl

ashleykaryl Junior Member

I must admit this concerns me as well. I have the trial version running with 3 days to go and I literally have my credit card in front of me but then I remembered Lion was coming out soon, so I came to the forum and found this thread. What incentive is there for me to buy Parallels with Lion due out in just a couple days if the developers can't even offer a few words of reassurance that everything will work or that there will be a free upgrade to a new version of Parallels in the very near future that will be fully compatible with Lion?

15. NathanT

NathanT Junior Member

I was able to mount my drives by just double-clicking them in Lion (I was previously running the latest version of Parallels under Snow Leopard, just installed Lion, didn't need to make any changes to Parallels or anything). I had to reassociate the .hdd file extension with Parallels Mounter (in /Library/Parallels) - it just appears that .hdd got associated with Terminal in Lion.

16. SeverusS

SeverusS Banned

Also having hardtime mounting my virtual machine's non-bootcamp HDD also used to work before I updated to Lion.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  17. DJBLACKSHEEP

DJBLACKSHEEP Bit poster

I've run into the exact same issue and so far (5 hours later, and about 5 different solutions failed) I still have no solution to this error. Wondering if anyone has any clue on how to do this?

I've Updated both LION and PD6 and there's nothing more to update. I've downloaded rEFIt and tried going through the back door as most of the forum posts suggest here but can't locate the VM tags folder in the PD6 Options menus. If anyone can help fix this I would greatly appreciate it as I have searched and researched to the end of it and have found no solution.

18. BudJ

BudJ Junior Member

I should have my new MacBook Air i7 with 4GB RAM and 256GB SSD this coming week. I'm currently running Lion and Parallels 6 (Windows 7 64-bit) with no problems so far on my 2010 MacBookPro with 8GB RAM.

With only 4GB RAM on the MBA, I was wondering how much RAM should I allocate to Parallels to run my Windows 7 VM?

Thanks.
    Bud

19. Chindokae

Chindokae Bit poster

Same problem

I've tried 5 different USB hard drives, formatted with VFAT, NTFS, and HFS, and none of them will show up as hard drives on WOndows Server 2003 guest OS's. They worked fine just before the upgrade.

20. DeShawnB

DeShawnB Hunter

Parallels Desktop 6 is compatible with Lion.

Please see the following KB article for more info: http://kb.parallels.com/en/10047