An error occurred while accessing the Hard Disk 0 used by "WinXP".

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by SunilJP, May 24, 2011.

1. SunilJP

SunilJP Bit poster

When I try to start Windows on Parallels Desktop 6 For Mac, I keep getting the following message:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    An error occurred while accessing the Hard Disk 0 used by "WinXP".

Click Retry to try again or click Stop to forcibly stop the virtual machine. If this error persists, please contact the Parallels support team for assistance.

Note: If you stop the virtual machine "WinXP" now, you will lose all unsaved data.

Error ID: PRL_ERR_DISK_WRITE_FAILED (80021027), errno=5 (Input/output error).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My recollection is that this started after I tried to compress the disk which I don't think completed.

Reported it via ticket Parallels #1148601

Is there a work around/fix for this issue?

-Sunil

2. JodyW

JodyW Bit poster

Resolved?

Hi, did you resolve this? Thanks

3. manfredell

manfredell Hunter

I get the same error now. Haven't been able to fix it even restoring the VM from a good backup, which was working at that time.

4. SunilJP

SunilJP Bit poster

Here is what Parallels Support recommended. The first set of instructions worked for me. YMMV.

1. Launch Parallels Desktop => do not start the Virtual machine.

2. Click on the "Window" option on the top menu bar => click on Virtual machine list.

3. Right click (ctrl+click) on the "Windows XP" => click on Configure => hardware tab => select "boot order".

4. Now, to the right pane you will have an option (a box) "boot flag", please add the following boot flag:

devices.hdd.error = 1

5. Click OK.

(Please perform these steps on both Virtual Machine that is Windows XP and 7)

Please refer the below given link to get to the boot order:

http://download.parallels.com/desktop/v6/docs/en/Parallels_Desktop_Users_Guide/22237.htm

If the issue persists then please perform the below given steps:

Step 1:

1. Please click on the link given and uninstall parallels desktop completely:

http://kb.parallels.com/9087

Step 2:

1. After the uninstall, open Finder => Applications => Utilities => Disk utilities.

2. Select Macintosh HD => click on repair disk permissions.

3. Please wait till the repair completes.

Step 3:

1. Now, please download the .dmg file to Install Parallels Desktop from the below given link:

http://www.parallels.com/download/desktop/

(select the language of parallels desktop you are using and click on download now=> .dmg file will be sent to your mail account => click on the first link in the mail and the file will start downloading)

2 .Once the file is downloaded, it will get mounted on the Mac screen => click on Install and proceed with the onscreen instructions to install parallels desktop.

5. bosco08

bosco08 Bit poster

Same for me. The first set of instructions worked for me.