removing bootcamp partition

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by leofalbo, Apr 8, 2011.

1. leofalbo

leofalbo Bit poster

Hi there, I currently have windows installed on a bootcamp partition and use paralles to access it. I no longer want to use bootcamp and i want to delete the partition windows is installed on, but I want to keep my windows XP setup and keep using parralles to use it. Is there a way this can happen ? some soft or export option or something like that ?

thanks in advance for your help

2. Kathleen R

Kathleen R Member

try manual or knowledgebase since no answers here

Don't know the answer but you might try the knowledge base (of course if you are like me, it can sometimes be tricky picking the right search terms) or try your Parallels manual. One or the other might have an answer for you, or maybe someone will still pop in with an answer. Or you could also try searching on the forums & you might find an answer.

I only partly understand all that, but bootcamp is formatted as ntfs for Windows so not sure how you would remove the partition. As I understand it, when just using Parallels with a vm, it isn't formatted ntfs, but I might be wrong.

It might be possible to back up your bootcamp partition & then use that somehow to restore from in the virtual machine, but don't know if that would work or not. You likely would need to reactivate Windows, but possibly not.

3. EmilyL

EmilyL Junior Member

Thanks for this info but I doubt you can remove the the partition windows installed and still keep the windows XP setup.[​IMG]

4. Randy13151620

Randy13151620 Bit poster

My recommendation(s) would be to see if you can use Transporter app to copy the Bootcamp files over into a new Virtual machine (that You'll need to set up first). You might also look into WinClone. This will make a backup of your Bootcamp partition to an external HD or to the Mac's partition.