App freezing under P6, fine under P5

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Jeremy Bernstein, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Jeremy Bernstein

Jeremy Bernstein Member

Dear Parallels,

I'm having trouble with yet another application under Parallels 6 which works fine under Parallels 5. This time, the application simply freezes after a few seconds of being left idle. It accepts no further input, won't accept clicks, must be forced quit from the Task Manager. Again, it works fine under Parallels 5 and on a "native" install of Windows XP.

To reproduce:
    1. Download the demo: http://www.shredderchess.com/chess-download/free-demo-download/download-chess-tutor-step-1-demo.html
    2. Install
    3. Run, create a new user and begin
    4. From the demo screen, press the "Start" button (a chess board will open)
    5. Wait 30 seconds
    6. Click on a UI element. If something happens, repeat steps 5-6 again. You won't have to wait long.
    7. File a bug report and fix this problem.

Thanks for your attention. I'll be downgrading to Parallels 5 until you can solve the screen flashing and freezing issues in Parallels 6 and requesting a refund -- your software is currently unusable. I am quite honestly regretting the switch from VMWare.

Jeremy

2. Jeremy Bernstein

Jeremy Bernstein Member

For the sake of completeness, I created a fresh Windows 7 VM for Parallels 6 and ran my test above. Same behavior. That VM (and my XP VM) run perfectly under Parallels 5. I bet that this is related to the still unresolved bug in the Parallels Video Adapter referenced here: http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=104426 .

3. Brian M

Brian M Bit poster

Meta trader 4 freezing when using parallels 6

If I leave meta trader 4 running unattended for any length of time with parallels 6 the whole windows VM freezes and becomes totally unresponsive requiring me to quit parallels and restart the VM not exactly what I was looking for when I upgraded
    I have gone back to parallels 5

4. DrDaveT

DrDaveT Bit poster

That's depressing. I just got tempted and gave in to upgrade to 6 for $39.99. Maybe I should stay with 5.

5. Jeremy Bernstein

Jeremy Bernstein Member

The workaround I have from Parallels support is to disable Time Synchronization and to not resize the VM window while the app is running. Until a fix is released, that's ok, although it's a bit annoying and flakey. Regardless, I am pleased that they are making an effort to fix it.

6. Jeremy Bernstein

Jeremy Bernstein Member

And it's still not fixed in 6.0.12090. Lame, Parallels, very lame. Fix your video driver, for crying out loud.

7. Jeremy Bernstein

Jeremy Bernstein Member

I can't say with complete certainty, but this bug appears to be fixed in v6.0.12092. I'll drop a note if I see the issue again, but so far so good. Better late than never, so thanks (subject to withdrawal if the problem turns up... ;))