Trouble with Ubuntu 10.10 and sleep

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by Bill Rising, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Bill Rising

Bill Rising Member

If I leave Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick) sit for a while, it looks like it goes into hibernation. When windowed, the VM screen shrinks to its size at startup, turns black and becomes completely unresponsive.

I saw KB article (http://kb.parallels.com/en/5724) which claims that rapping on the keyboard or tapping the mouse will help. It does not. I end up having to stop the Ubuntu machine and lose what I'm doing.

Anyone have any tips about configuration of the VM which might keep this from happening? I tried searching in this forum for "sleep" and "hibernate" but neither led to anything fruitful.

Thanks,

Bill

2. Bill Rising

Bill Rising Member

Trouble continues in Ubuntu 11.04

I still have the same black-screen problem with Ubuntu 11.04.

Ubuntu goes into hibernation while being ignored.
    Window resizes to the default size shown when bootup starts and is covered with virtual ice-crystals.
    Clicking 'click here to start' gets rid of the crystals and leave a blank screen.
    No amount of activity brings Ubuntu back to life.

Any hints anyone?

3. Bill Rising

Bill Rising Member

Followup

If my MS Windows virtual machine hibernates, the hibernation window with the ice crystals is the same size as the Windows Guest OS window.

When Ubuntu hibernates, the hibernation window is a completely different size...it is the size which comes up when booting into any virtual machine (Ubuntu included). My guess is that Ubuntu gets confused about resolutions and sits there staring at the ceiling.

FWIW, as far as window sizes go, when I start Ubuntu, the initial startup is the same size as for all virtual machines, the login window is another size, and then the Ubuntu Guest OS window is a third size.

4. Bill Rising

Bill Rising Member

what would be the fix?

If there is such a conflict, how do resolve it? I'm lost.