Failed to add an existing virtual machine! No boot device is available!

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by CindyT, Jun 30, 2009.

1. CindyT

CindyT Bit poster

I've been using parallels desktop all along, and I just installed a newer version of parallels on my Mac. At the welcome page, I chose import virtual machines, and the existing files are backed up and converted successfully.

But I am not able start up microsoft windows. At start up, it said that:

Trying to boot from CD-ROM drive... failed.
    Trying to boot from Floppy drive... failed.
    Trying to boot from Networking...

Intel UNDI, PXE-2.0
    Copyright (C) 2007-2008 Parallels Inc.
    Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Intel Cororation

Client MAC ADDR: 00 1C 42 C7 4B 7B GUID: 9F2215EA-92A5-46BD-B92D-6710C8CA95D5
    PXE-E53: No boot filename received
    PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel PXE ROM.

No boot device is available, press Enter to continue.

What boot device do I need, please give me a hand! Urgent~
    Thanks in advance!

2. galochka

galochka Hunter

Hello, CindyT

As I can understand you were able to use the Virtual Machine in Parallels Desktop 3.0, am I correct?
    Are you able to open fvirtual machine files with Parallels Explorer?

Please open Configuration of Virtual Machine -> Hard Disk 1 (shoudl be enabled)
    Check Boot Order -> it should be Hard Disk 1, Cd ROM, Floppy, Network

3. CindyT

CindyT Bit poster

You are right, Hard Disk 1's enabled button in configuration is unchecked. and the boot order is cd/dvd -> hard disk 1 -> floppy -> network adapter...

I am not familiar with parallels, can you tell me how to enable my hard disk and reset the boot order?

many thanks!

4. galochka

galochka Hunter

CindyT,

Your Virtual Machine shoudl be stopped after that you may change configuration of VM (simply click on stop button)
    After that open Hard Disk 1 -> you shoudl be able to enable this option

Boot Order: on the right side you will be able to see arrows, select Hard Disk 1 and click on the upper arrow till Hard Disk wont be on the top.

5. CindyT

CindyT Bit poster

Thankx! Problem fixed! Now it runs smoothly~

6. tc2

tc2 Bit poster

Have same problem

I have the same issue, but my device boot order is correct. Do you have any ideas for me?

7. Sukru

Sukru Bit poster

Pls help me..
    [​IMG]

8. Sukru

Sukru Bit poster

pls help meeee
    [​IMG]

9. alev

alev Parallels Team

Hello,

Did your Windows boot before?
    Is it a Boot Camp based Virtual Machine?
    Have you tried to stop/start Virtual Machine?

10. savvynetizen

savvynetizen Bit poster

I am running Parallels on MacBook Air Build 6.0.12092.670880. This is the latest version available.
    I have successfully created an XP VM 6 months ago on the first try. I am now trying to launch another VM image,
    but based XP Pro SP3. Migration with Transporter Agent went smoothly. When I try to start the new VM I am blocked by this "No boot device available" issue.

SCSI controller is not installed
    Network bootrom is installed
    Trying to boot from Primary Master IDE drive....failed
    Trying to boot from CD-Room drive....failed
    Trying to book from Floppy drive....failed
    Trying to boot from Networking.....No boot filename received.

Would appreciate some guidance as the forum search on this topic led to some fixes but not for me.
    :-(

11. alev

alev Parallels Team

Most probably you have uncommon disk partitioning on your source host.

I could confirm it if you give me this information:

1) Problem report ID (Issue from Parallels Desktop when your Virtual Machine window is in focus - Help/Report a Problem, write down received ID)
    2) Parallels Transporter Agent log from Windows source C:\Windows\Logs\parallels.log
    3) Disk management screenshot from Windows source:
    On your Windows source-host press(Win)+(R) - enter: diskmgmt.msc, take screenshot.

12. savvynetizen

savvynetizen Bit poster

Problem resolved using copy and paste to Mac Desktop

Issue is now resolved after trying several scenarios including the ones in almost 4 years of forum post history - not all the fixes worked for me - but it took under 24 hours to find the fix.

The one that worked was with 2 different PCs - a WinXP and a Win 7 - where both images were created with Transporter to an external storage and for a configuration to a Macbook Pro and a MacBook Air.

1. Each pvm file was copied and then pasted on the destination Mac
    2. opened Win XP on the MacBook Air and was asked if this is a copied or moved file. Selected moved and the configuration started without an issue and completed successfully. This XP VM starts and runs without any problem.
    3. openen Win 7 on the MacBook Pro and it asked if this was a copied or moved file. Selected moved and the configuration started without issue. Win7 on MacBook Pro works without issue.

Appreciate your response in any case. Will note it in case future images result in the same error and this above fix does not work.

13. DomoniqueD

DomoniqueD Bit poster

same issue here

I'm having the same issue but I can't figure out the solution. I had my virtual machine working and running windows 7 at one point. I had to reboot my mac and now i can't install my windows 7 cd. I get those same errors that are on the previous post. please help. i'm running parallel desktop 6

14. Vincent1

Vincent1 Bit poster

Same issue due to uncommon partitioning

Alev,

I have the same problem. I used the transport agent to create a virtual machine. My Windows 7 PC is actually a MacBook Air where I formated the harddrive and installed Windows directly, i.e. there is no more MacOS on it.

As you requested, I am providing the following information:
    1) Problem report ID: 9418446
    2) Parallels Transporter Agent log from Windows source C:\Windows\Logs\parallels.log (attached)
    3) Disk management screenshot from Windows source (attached).

Your help is much appreciated.

Best
    Vincent

Attached Files:

15. alev

alev Parallels Team

Hello Vincent,

Your logs shows error in migration, so it is not clear which partitions were migrated.
    You could try this:
    1) Load migrated VM using Windows installation CD and try to repair installation.
    2) Migrate using http://kb.parallels.com/en/9098 and selecting only Windows partition.

If you have another running Windows VM - you could try to add migrated VM hdd its' configuration and check partitioning of migrated disk- send us disk management screenshot so we could analyze it.

16. RusselJ

RusselJ Banned

Hello I have a Boot Camp based Virtual Machine, how can it be done?.[​IMG]

17. Vincent1

Vincent1 Bit poster

Alev, thank you for your reply.
    1) Can you explain how to do this?
    2) The link tells me that I don't have access to internal articales

Thanks
    Vincent

18. alev

alev Parallels Team

Vincent,

1) http://kb.parallels.com/en/5223
    2) Sorry, I will request to make it public. Open Terminal (Applications > Utilities > Terminal), copy and paste the following command:
    /Library/Parallels/Parallels\ Transporter.app/Contents/MacOS/Parallels\ Transporter --custom-mode
    Press Enter (Return).
    Parallels Transporter will start in extended mode and it will be possible to choose partitions for migrating:

19. KILLGUY

KILLGUY Bit poster

Parallels problem

I had the same problem as CindyT but the hard disk 1 is enabled and hard disk 1 is at the bottom...
    anybody who can please help!!!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  20. mmika

mmika Pro

KILLGUY, let's start from report ID.

As Alev said you need to generate problem report data.
    And provide this number here.

Thank you.