Bootcamp Problems

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by ericmason, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Stuart.

Stuart. Junior Member

Well some interesting overnight developments:

Just to quickly answer some 3150 points: time didn't seem to be a factor, although I probably only ever gave it a couple of minutes to connect - perhaps longer might have worked.

Autoconnect set to Off, so was manually dismounting the drive from OSX then telling Parallels to mount it.

However, as 3170 came out overnight, I have 'upgraded' again.

Still cannot fire up the Windows VM if I have an external drive plugged in (either NTFS or Fat32) mounted in OSX or not. If it is physically plugged in, the VM will not start.

But - tried plugging it (the Maxtor) in after firing up the VM, and (after waiting a bit (thanks Atomic) , and plugging it in a couple of times), it actually mounted - fully. Access through My Computer and everything. Even Disk Manager can now see the drive.

So we are closer. Not being able to boot the VM with any external drive plugged in is still ridiculous, and requires extra unnecessary steps, but we are closer. At least, for the first time, I can see my external harddrives without using Parallels Shared Folders.

Whew.

2. drval

drval Pro

OK but what about your boot sequence?

3. Stuart.

Stuart. Junior Member

Sorry, forgot to answer that one

Boot sequence is Harddrive, CD ROM, Floppy.

Took me a while to respond, as I have now discovered that 3170 has made my system more unstable - mounting and unmounting drives in Windows and/or OSX can cause the system to freeze, and required a reboot.

4. Delphyne

Delphyne Member

You can fix this pretty easily by editing your .pvs file in a text editor.

Go to the terminal while your Boot Camp partition is mounted and type:

diskutil list

you'll see something like this:

/dev/disk0
    #: type name size identifier
    0: GUID_partition_scheme *111.8 GB disk0
    1: EFI 200.0 MB disk0s1
    2: Apple_HFS Tifa 80.0 GB disk0s2
    3: Microsoft Basic Data Aerith 31.5 GB disk0s3

Now, look in your .pvs file, go down to the [IDE Devices] section. Where it says "Boot Camp" change it to...

Disk 0:0 image = Boot Camp;disk0s3

replacing disk0s3 with whatever is in the identifier column for your Boot Camp partition (Aerith in my case).

Good luck.

5. Stuart.

Stuart. Junior Member

Tried that, but now I get

Virtual machine cannot be started because of the following problem:

The virtual Hard Disk 1 image file /Users/slees/Library/Parallels/Microsoft Windows XP Bootcamp/disk0.hdd could not be found

Mine was disk0s3 as well fwiw.

I tried changing it back, but still get the same message. Help!

6. Delphyne

Delphyne Member

open that .pvs in parallels and remove the entry for that hdd... if the file is not there, parallels can't use it. I don't think you actually intend for it to be there anyway.

7. rsp123

rsp123 Bit poster

I had this issue too. I installed boot camp on my MacBook Pro 17", loaded XP Pro, then, when all seemed steady, installed Parallels (3170 RC3). All seemed lovely until I tried to boot into XP via boot camp. No joy. I had to do the f8 thing to get it to work but even that stopped working after a while. Eventually I realized that the boot.ini file had been adjusted by Parallels. This is my boot.ini now - and the whole thing works beautifully:
    ----

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

---

If you are going to edit your boot.ini file, *Carefully* check which partition number XP is installed on. If your XP partition is formatted in NTFS, as mine is, you can edit the boot.ini file from the mac side by installing macFuse in OS X. See the Google MacFuse pages at http://code.google.com/p/macfuse/

The only oddity I have noticed is that when Parallels VM is loaded I cannot plug in a regular usb 2-button mouse - the light goes on, but no one is home. If I unload the VM and plug it in, it works fine. If it is plugged in and working and I load the VM it works fine. But if I unplug the mouse while the VM is running it will not start again. Small bug, but given that right clicking is so vital in Windows, an annoying one. There's a nice little apple mouse utility that gives you a right click without a mouse (or with a one button mouse) - http://www.geocities.com/pronto4u/applemouse.html

8. Cyberkrawler

Cyberkrawler Bit poster

This solution works!

Thanks for the insight. I experienced this "non-standard..." error after installing a new 300GB SATA HDD. I tweaked the .pvs as you suggested and, viola, it worked.

Thanks for saving me hours of time, frustration, and a headache. My disk config is listed below. I simply changed the .pvs entry to "Disk 0:0 image = Boot Camp;disk2s3"

/dev/disk2
    #: type name size identifier
    0: GUID_partition_scheme *232.9 GB disk2
    1: EFI 200.0 MB disk2s1
    2: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 129.0 GB disk2s2
    3: Microsoft Basic Data Vista_HDD1 103.6 GB disk2s3

9. mrchin

mrchin Bit poster

My Boot Camp Issue is with booting in it after the Parallels use of it. I can still use my Boot Camp drive in parallels and run XP without issue. There were some errors and freezing that required force quits, but it all eventually repaired itself during relaunch.

My issue is trying to boot in BC directly now. Upon selecting my partition at boot manager, it starts to load but with first 5 seconds system just restarts. Then back into OSX. No video, just black prior to restart. I tried to boot into F10 to safe boot. No keyboard functionality just like I've seen others have. Just plugging in a USB KB into my MBP C2D allows that to function. But, whether choosing safe boot or last known good, same immediate restart issue occurs.

I even booted from my original SP2 cd to attempt repair and install existing partition. Able to get through menus to start and choose. But once it continues to start the process, the restart happens again.

Anyone else experiencing this? I don't want to have to wipe and restore the entire thing.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2007
  10. StompyJ

StompyJ Bit poster

How does it work if we install an extra internal HD for use in Windows?

I have a 300 gig drive I have audio samples on that I need to access inside Windows. If I leave this drive plugged in however, I get the "non-standard" issue.

If I remove the drive from the .pvs file, is there anyway I can access it via windows?

11. davePerry

davePerry Bit poster

Hold down the option key on the Mac startup then you get the option of starting OS X or Windows.

12. davePerry

davePerry Bit poster

If you hold down the Option key on startup you should get the option to start either Windows or OS X.

13. davePerry

davePerry Bit poster

Boot Camp fails to initialise the USB Bus

After successfully getting Parallels 3170 to boot my Bootcamp partition which is on its own Hard disk, on a Mac Pro, for some reason when I boot back to BootCamp my USB peripherals do not startup.
    IE: My optical mouse does not light up, and ctrl- alt delete on the keyboard do not allow me to get back into Windows XP
    I have tried unplugging the devices but it makes no difference.
    USB is totally dead.
    As soon as I boot into OS X all is fine. The power appears to turn off half a second before the Windows XP startup screen comes up, which is after the solid white line moves across the screen.
    Any ideas or a solution welcome.