Parallels Desktop for Mac build 3170 RC3 is available for download.

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by STim, Feb 15, 2007.

1. fengzhou

fengzhou Bit poster

BootCamp Error Fixed by Custom BootCamp Configuration

The Custon BootCamp Configuration fixed the problem that BootCamp Windows cannot be started in Parallels. It took a few trials, but BootCamp windows eventually started. People had the same problem in an earlier release. The configuration procedure is on this page.

http://forum.parallels.com/post42129-1.html

My BootCamp partition worked before the upgrade, and there are no multiple partitions on it.

Maybe this could be ironed out in the next release, or a solution to this error message be listed in the manual.

Thanks.

2. event

event Bit poster

Ok, so I am confused... is the prepare windows for Vista upgrade feature-- is that only for VMs, or is that for Boot Camp as well? Will coherence mode work with Vista now?

3. Stuart.

Stuart. Junior Member

I have mentioned it in more detail in the (now somewhat irrelevant) 3150 thread, but in summary:

1. Upgrade to 3170 worked without incident
    2. Parallels tools installed automatically
    3. The VM still cannot start if any Fat32 or NTFS external harddrive is mounted in OSX. The drive has to by physically unplugged or the VM refuses to start (very annoying that - didn't happen in 3120, but does in 3150 and now 3170.
    4. If you are patient (thanks Atomic), once you plug the external drive in, and get Parallels to connect it through "Devices, USB" (I don't Autoconnect) they finally mount in Windows! This is the first time I have achieved this.

So once we get the inability to start the VM with drives already connected / mounted, I will be satisfied for my Parallels requirements.

4. Stuart.

Stuart. Junior Member

Found a new issue - 3170 has decreased the system stability. Mounting / Unmounting external USB drives in Windows and/or OSX can cause the Mac to freeze, requiring a reboot.

Argh - back to the drawing board. (Or using Bootcamp as bootcamp, and not through Parallels :rolleyes: )

5. seaQuest_AMD

seaQuest_AMD Bit poster

Can we use the Apple USB Modem yet?!

6. luomat

luomat Hunter

Please recognize reality

Right now their emphasis is on Windows. From one RC to another I would expect to see bug fixes, not huge new features.

I love Linux and BSD, run them both myself actually, but the reality is that the biggest slice of pie on the table is people wanting to run Windows apps.

I want to see Parallels tools for other OSes, very much so. But getting Windows stable and usable is surely understandable at this point.

7. ajcooper

ajcooper Member

I know it says better USB support, but there's no mention of the Logitech 10.4 and 10.5 drivers . The last RC specified that they didn't work, this one doesn't say if they do or don't. Any news?

8. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

It was a courtesy to tell you once how to do this. It is idiocy tell you twice. You have responsibilities in this forum not the least of which is to retain what you have been told. Are you now asking somebody for a personal mind stream to fill your recurring cerebral void or are you asking somebody to enter "isight" into the search link at the top of this page for you, and to report what they learn? If so, why? Are you not able? Too busy, perhaps? Can't be bothered? What? When does it end?

Ok - that was humor. But educational, no?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2007
  9. Stevamundo

Stevamundo Pro

Well try it for yourself!

10. drval

drval Pro

I wonder if, in this situation, RTFM could be understood as "Really Try the Feature Mentioned"?

11. psycoperl

psycoperl Junior Member

Where do you find this... i can not in build 1970 find a VRAM option, is this new in the 3170? I am holding off on 3170 pending more feedback from the rest of you, it seems a bit scary to go to 3170 at this moment.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2007
  12. fengzhou

fengzhou Bit poster

This Release Excels at Multitasking

I upgraded from Built 3109 to 3170. I am on a Macbook Pro, Intel Core Duo 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM. I am able to open 20 applications in OSX (including MS Words, Matlab 2007, Safari, Firefox, etc.), and at the same time more than 10 programs in VM Windows XP. Both iTunes and Windows Media Player 10 are playing among all these opened programs, while I am composing this message. It is truly amazing.

Yes, built in iSight works in Parallels, and I can do AV message with people stuck with PCs.

Thank you for such a killer app.

Feng

13. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

You can go forward or backward in builds provided you've preserved the original dmg file. I always recommend also saving the vm's between builds because you can't be sure a newer build won't introduce an incompatibility in a vm that an earlier build can't deal with. There's been no hint from the vendor, but they too recommend saving VM's prior to replacing the product.

14. psycoperl

psycoperl Junior Member

I understand that, but from some of the crash reports I am not confortable enough with the mac to take some extra chances...

15. eintausendstel

eintausendstel Bit poster

still that problem with application quit when shutdown the VM :(
    I dont know why my paralleles do that. I saw it on other machines and there is all ok.
    I've unchecked the options "leave application at VM shutdown" but parallels always quit after VM shutdown :( same with start option.
    everybody know why? :(

16. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Unless you're using Bootcamp it is pretty safe to work with Parallels's vm's. Bootcamp, another beta product, is a whole 'nuther spooky proposition. Parallels is an OS X app and is pretty stable. If you trash, somehow, your virtual machines it is trivial to restore them from backup files - just a matter of seconds to do so. No reason to be timid.

17. bayarealondoner

bayarealondoner Bit poster

Previous RC

Fortunately it appears to be possible to download at least the previous RC:
    http://download.parallels.com/RC/Parallels Desktop 3150 Mac en.dmg

18. ebernet

ebernet Product Expert

This is not release software. If you want to be safe, wait for the release version.

19. ajcooper

ajcooper Member

Easy guys! I've just managed to get my webcam stable using 9.5 drivers so don't really want to screw that up trying drivers that Parallels know won't work. They were pretty up front about it last time and posted to this forum with that information. At least I haven't asked the forum twice how to download isight drivers;)

20. drval

drval Pro

No worries, I was trying to be just a little bit humorous -- given how "heavy" some of the discussions have been lately.

So, maybe RTFM means Rather That Funny Meaning, instead of something heavy. Do let us all know how it goes.