Parallels Desktop 5

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by JeffWard, Jun 7, 2011.

1. JeffWard

JeffWard Bit poster

Mac OS Lion & Parallels

I’m a non-techie user is Parallels Desktop 5 on my MacBook using OS-X 10.6.7. Everything works splendidly, and I’ve seen no reason to upgrade to Parallels 6.

With Apple’s announcement today about the release of the Lion OS, what’s the word on compatibility with Parallels? Honestly, in the past, I've had initial compatibility issues upgrading my Mac OS and Parallels, so I'm obviously hesitant to upgrade right out of the gate.

My question:

1. Is it safe to upgrade to Lion OS in July when it’s released? I need to keep Parallels up and running for some of my work applications that only run in a Windows XP environment.

Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  2. terryi

terryi Bit poster

Need to know the same thing. Will Parallels Desktop 5 run properly on Lion? Does anyone know this answer?

3. ZKM

ZKM Bit poster

No, Lion does NOT like Parallels 5. You will need to upgrade unfortunately, fortunately when you upgrade all of your Windows and Linux PVMs will work when you upgrade

4. James Bloomer

James Bloomer Bit poster

Parallels 5 to Parallels 6

I upgraded to Parallels 6 when it was first available. Bad experience. I only use Parallels/Windoz 7 for MSFSX. After parallels 6 installation, significant functionality with FSX was lost. It took hours and hours to remove 6 and install 5, then install Windoz 7 pro, then install MSFSX Deluxe and MSFSX Acceleration. And, then install all the "third party" planes. I still don't think I got the refund that was promised.

I'm not going down that road again unless someone can conclusively tell me they upgraded to Parallels 6 and MSFSX works perfectly. If necessary, I will forgo Lion and stick with what I know, from experience, works. I only use Parallels/Windoz 7 for MSFSX.

-Jim

5. RuiD

RuiD Bit poster

I have the similar problem than JeffWard and Terryi. I installed Lion and have Parallels 5. Do I need to buy the whole Parallels 6 version and than upgrade, or an upgrade from 5 to 6 version (compatible with Lion) is enough?

6. RuiD

RuiD Bit poster

Paralles 5 to 6

My problem is the same. Still don't know whether need to buy first the whole Paralles 6 pack than upgrade to version Lion-compatible version or is enough to upgrade from 5 to 6.

7. LiudmilaA

LiudmilaA Bit poster

Hello,

Parallels Desktop 5 for Mac does not support the new Mac OS X Lion and will not run if Lion is installed.

Current Parallels Desktop 5 users need to upgrade to Parallels Desktop 6. For this you should purchase Parallels Desktop 6 Upgrade.

Parallels Desktop 6 can be purchased at pur website:

http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/

Please refer to the following KB article for additional information:

http://kb.parallels.com/111578

8. terryi

terryi Bit poster

I upgraded to PD 6 and then upgraded to Lion. Everything works great and my Vms are way faster than before! Thanks Parallels for providing a great product.

9. MXWorker

MXWorker Bit poster

Sorry, but you are crazy? The Upgrade cost more as LION?

This is not user-friendly. A savings offer is price from 9,99 for a upgrade. This i would pay, but not 39,99!

10. ofcoursedude

ofcoursedude Bit poster

Dear Ljudmila,
    I know it's not your fault and everything.

{the_other_mac_vm_company} charges less than a half for their upgrades, and - through competitive upgrade - it's actually cheaper to upgrade to their latest solution than to PD6. Is there a specific reason for that?
    Pavel

11. MonicaS

MonicaS Bit poster

I'm also still running Parallels 5, and it works fine, so I haven't seen a reason to upgrade. It's been almost a year since this thread started and I've been thinking about going to OSx Lion (I got Lion for free as an academic license). Has Parallels reached a solution or put out a patch to make this process easier? I see no reason to upgrade to either Lion or Parallels 7 if this is going to be a disaster. Any tips from you folks that did this last year?

12. LiudmilaA

LiudmilaA Bit poster