Black screen after 3170 upgrade

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by kirkp, Feb 16, 2007.

1. kirkp

kirkp Bit poster

I upgraded to 3170 and got a black screen. Win XP seems to start normally, then just goes to a black screen. It freaks out each time I try to reinstall Win XP as well.
    Using Boot Camp partition works.
    Am I the only one with this problem?

2. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

you might need to try booting windows into safe mode and installing the 3170 Parallels Tools again. seems to have been an issue on the last release that most people fixed in this way.

3. kirkp

kirkp Bit poster

Thanks . . .

Safe mode and install Parallels tools did the trick.

4. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

good to hear :)

5. nickkuh

nickkuh Bit poster

I have the same issue. Could someone tell me how to boot windows in safe mode?

6. billaquino

billaquino Junior Member

Safe Boot:

Fn key + F8 key as soon as you see the psudo bios POST screen when you start windows...

Select SAFE BOOT.

By the way, I had the same problem and this solved it.

7. tychodyne

tychodyne Bit poster

Unable to Safe boot

Got the black screen then tried to safe boot and each time it hangs on the same driver:

\Windows\System32\Drivers\MUP.sys

And then it just stays there.

Any ideas?

Thank you.
    B

8. silverback

silverback Bit poster

I get a BSOD instead of a black screen, but mine stops on the same driver when trying to boot in safe mode as well. Don't know the cause or solution, but you're not alone in this issue.

9. b.c

b.c Junior Member

I've had this black screen hang problem too with 3170.

I had a backup copy of my XP VM, so copying that back to my Mac hard drive got around it. not sure what caused it in the first place however...

10. calstars

calstars Junior Member

I also had the black screen when booting into Boot Camp, and fixed it by booting into Safe Mode (Fn + F8) and installing Parallel Tools.
    THanks!

11. ssparkss

ssparkss Bit poster

none of these solutions work for me...argh

OK, i've been all over this forum, read the solution to the black screen problem...deleted parallels, re-installed different versions, etc and all continue to give me the same problem. I am able to select safe mode, however, my screen is black and says "safe mode" in the 4 corners with a windows version listed at the top..I am unable to do anything, select anything, etc. So basically i'm in a loop here without a solution. Can someone shed some light? I'm getting a bit frustrated....

For what it's worth, when I do select safe mode, I get a huge rundown list of drivers messages -- is this normal? Everything was fine until I decided to auto-install 3188 -- been hell ever since.

12. nsouza

nsouza Bit poster

I have the same issue with a clients XP install. They have some very important files on their .hdd that they need to get. I would like to solve their XP black screen issue, but most of all I need those files.

1) does anyone know what to do when the above steps don't work? (Safe Mode)

2) Is there a utility that will allow me to explore the .hdd file and yank out the important files?

Thanks!

13. alzabo

alzabo Bit poster

Same problem here sorta, I installed the free version, then bought it, then ran the update to 3188, and after the update, I have NO video in the VM unless I grab the corner of Parallels and try to resize the window, then I can see the edges of the Windows desktop as I move the size back and forth.....EXTREMELY frustrated and feeling, like others, that I've wasted money and maybe more importantly time.

:mad: Almost 2 days now.

14. alzabo

alzabo Bit poster

OK, so in a way the forum helped, got me going down the safe mode path....in there I was able to restore an earlier startup, which cleared the video issue....as I'm doing that XP is badgering me to install new hardware....I said NO to that and uninstalled the Parallels Tools thru the Winbloze control panel, then re-installed Tools from the Actions menu in Parallels, and it appears to be working....so thanx for the advice that got me going....but I gotta say....I shouldn't have to know this much to make this work, beta testing on new customers is NOT cool.

There's a saying, if you don't have to know much to make the thing work, the thing is sophisticated, and if you have to know a LOT to make a thing work work, then YOU are the sophisticated thing and the thing you're working with is primitive....

I'm just saying, seems like you have to know a LOT to make Winbloze, (and Parallels) work properly....

/RANTING WHINE:mad:

;)