Parallels virtual machine not visible in Lion

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Rishbrevan, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Rishbrevan

Rishbrevan Bit poster

After installing OSX Lion the Parallels window is not visible. If I right click on the Parallels dock icon and choose `Show All Windows' it will display the window in an expose'-like fashion. Also, while "swiping" on my magic mouse from one Desktop to the next the Parallels window will be visible only until the next desktop is in place. No interaction with the virtual machine possible at this point.

?????????

2. edblanton

edblanton Junior Member

Exact same problem. Did you have Parallels running in space 2 in 10.6.6?

3. glassbathroom

glassbathroom Bit poster

I had this problem also. If you go into Mission Control and delete the spare desktops then it sorts it out. You can then add new desktops later.

4. Rishbrevan

Rishbrevan Bit poster

Yes I did. Just got done with tech support......after being directed to the latest build I still had the same problem. After quite a bit of trouble-shooting via remote tech support what finally seemed to fix it was to choose Assign to...This Desktop (right click dock icon, choose Options, choose Assign to....This Desktop). So far so good.

5. drducci

drducci Bit poster

Having same problem. Any solutions?

6. edblanton

edblanton Junior Member

Problem solved

I had Parallels running in Space 2 under Snow Leopard. Could only get fleeting glances at it when swiping btwn desktops in mission control. (Also, I have dashboard disabled)

To remedy this I opened parallels as before. Went into mission control via 3-finger upsweep. Deleted the desktop 2 by hovering over it until an X appears in the top left of the desktop 2 and clicked on that. Then parallels was visible on desktop 1 and stable.

Then, hover cursor in the top right hand corner of mission control until a +sign is visible. Click on the plus to create another desktop 2. Simply drag the parallels window from desktop 1 into desktop 2 and you're in business.

7. Tom Collignon

Tom Collignon Member

Problem not solved on my system.

8. alev

alev Parallels Team

Well guys,

Issue is addressed in this article: http://kb.parallels.com/en/111682

If it doesn't help as in Tom's case - could you please send us Problem Report and post ID in this thread.

Thank you.

9. ShannonA

ShannonA Member

What version are you running?

10. J0hn

J0hn Bit poster

I had the same problem and resolved it by setting the view to coherence, once it had decided what to do, changing back to windows and everything was fine.

11. GeraldB

GeraldB Bit poster

I did the same after reading your posting, worked for me too. Thanks! :D

12. martin@lerchdesign.com

martin@lerchdesign.com Junior Member

Worked for me - here is what I did

Hi all,

All that I did was right click on the Parallels icon in the dock, went with the mouse over "Options" and then selected "This Desktop". There it was. The Parallels virtual machine screen in it's glory. Then I moved it over to Space 2 and all was well. Thank you!

TTYL

13. TorstenE

TorstenE Bit poster

No Luck

None of these tips worked for me, but parallels is still useable for me. I have to forgo the virtual machines list and use the menu items instead. For my work for starting a VM I do the following:

1) File > Open
    2) Navigate to the pvm file (/Users/[Home Dir]/Documents/Parallels for me).
    3) Select the virtual machine I want started/modified/cloned/etc.
    4) The vm should popup in its own window at this point.

Of course when I use mission control I can see the virtual machines list, but it never displays on my desktop.

Just for the record I have a hard month with Parallels. First I upgraded to 10.6.6, which caused Parallels 4 to stop working. I rolled back my machine to 10.6.5 (very time consuming). Parallels 4 worked again, but eventually I had to upgrade to 10.6.6 for other software I was running. I then upgraded to Parallels 6, which was working great until I needed full disk encryption which led me to install OS X 10.7, which seemed to be working until I began using Parallels with multiple workspaces. Now I at least have something that works, but still not 100%. Sorry in advance for the rant and good luck!