Sleep/Resume only reads writes at 20MB/Sec

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by BobTheDog, Sep 1, 2010.

1. ro050408

ro050408 Bit poster

I am running Parallels 5 under OSX with a Windows 7x64 guest and am not experiencing this problem. When I save the ram image to disk it saves the entire thing in about 1 second and starting up takes about 1.5 seconds. This is on a MBP with dual SSD's running raid. Is this a problem just under version 6?

2. BobTheDog

BobTheDog Member

You are experiencing the problem, it just looks like you are not! SSD disks may be fast but they are not that fast!

Before you sleep the VM, load up Activity Monitor and choose disk activity.

Then sleep your VM, you will then see the disk write speed.

It looks like it is saving in a second but it is not, the window disappears and the saving is done in the background.

The fix mentioned in the post is implemented in the new version so adding the boot flags really speeds it up now.

Cheers

Andy

3. ro050408

ro050408 Bit poster

I just tried that experiment you suggested, and the system monitor shows a peak write speed of 521.1 MB/s and all write activity ceases after about two seconds.

4. BobTheDog

BobTheDog Member

Interesting, I had the problem with 5 but it looks like you don't!

So your vm is 2GB?

Can you try with a 6GB one?

Thanks

Andy

5. Gregorio

Gregorio Bit poster

Update?

Just wondering if the flag mentioned above was included in any of the latest updates?

6. dev@parallels.com

dev@parallels.com Parallels Developers

Yes, it was released in updates. Still problems?

7. Gregorio

Gregorio Bit poster

Boot flag

My last post was unclear, I meant to ask if the boot flag is enabled by default. As an IT organization do we need to tell our Parallels users that they should use this flag or can we assume the latest binaries of Parallels enable the full write speed of the disk by default?

Many thanks to the devs that worked on this and the people that made it happen.

Greg

8. dev@parallels.com

dev@parallels.com Parallels Developers

Yes, I confirm that for all remote devices (USB/net) there should be no limit in write speed by default.