Bridged networking broken in 3170?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by strells, Feb 16, 2007.

1. strells

strells Product Expert

Bridged was working fine for me in 3150. I use it so the VM is like a separate machine on my corporate network. However, it's now not working in 3170. I've verified that I have unique MAC addresses and I get a valid IP address through the ethernet connection. However, for some reason, I cannot ping the DHCP server or any DNS server. I'm not sure how I could have gotten a valid IP address if I can't contact the DHCP server (I used to be able to ping it, so I don't think pings are blocked). Doing a repair on the connection in XP fails. I've tried disabling the Parallels network adaptor in Parallels tools with the same results. Shared networking works fine, but I want to keep using bridged if I can. Any thoughts?

Steve

2. hhwong

hhwong Member

What is your setup? Bridged is working fine for me in 3170, except for the part of not being able to find Windows Workgroup boxes.

3. strells

strells Product Expert

What part of my setup do you want to know? Ethernet, unique MAC address. DHCP. MBP 2.33. Worked fine in 3150. The weirdest part is that I can get a valid IP address (at first; as stated, doing a Repair fails), but still not have connectivity. How is that possible?

Steve

Last edited: Feb 16, 2007
  4. IronJeff

IronJeff Bit poster

bridged networking is definitely broken in 3170

I've got a wireless router set to a non-standard IP address. I want to configure a new router via the ethernet port, while remaining online via Airport, so that I can look at the router docs online and browse forums. Rather than having to deal with changing the order of the ports in the Network preferences panel every time I need to access the net or access the new router, I decided to disable the Mac's IP address on the built-in ethernet port, set Parallels for bridged networking on en0, and then use Windows inside Parallels to configure the router.

Here's my setup. In the Network preferences panel, I've set my Airport config to connect to the old router as usual. Also, I've set the built-in Ethernet to "Off". Then, I setup Parallels to use bridged networking on en0:Ethernet Adapter. When I setup Windows' Local Area Connection's TCP/IP settings to use DHCP, it gets an IP address from my old router connected via Airport! In other words, Parallels is acting as if I bridged to en1 instead of en0.

My old router is not using the standard IP address (192.168.1.1), but the new router is set to 192.168.1.1. I can easily tell that Windows is getting it's IP address via Airport because it gets an address in my old router's subnet rather than the 192.168.1 subnet. It's definitely not bridged to the built-in ethernet port. Furthermore, if I change Windows to use a manual IP address on the 192.168.1 subnet, I can't ping the new router. So, at the very least, Parallels' bridged networking is broken in that it doesn't bridge to the interface that I specify.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2007
  5. rmanley

rmanley Junior Member

Bridged also not working here in 3170 but shared networking was fine. VStudio remote debug requires it so I was forced to go back to 3150.

6. jkneen

jkneen Member

No problems with bridged in 3170 here. I know that's not what you want to here when it doesn't work for you!

7. rmanley

rmanley Junior Member

Have you installed the extreme update?

8. DJ-GROBE

DJ-GROBE Member