Full-screen app mode in Lion

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by mtr, Jul 20, 2011.

1. mtr

mtr Bit poster

It would be great if I could switch my Windows apps into the new full-screen mode in OSX 10.7.

2. NathanT

NathanT Junior Member

Yes, I completely agree!

3. SeverusS

SeverusS Banned

I really agree on this!I want one. I read reviews about lion they are great. Are you also using safari the graphics are great.[​IMG]

4. DJEmergency

DJEmergency Bit poster

Would be awesome and have it so when we want the whole windows desktop full screen we can use the 4 finger gestures to go back and forth from osx desktop to windows.

5. alonweinstein

alonweinstein Junior Member

That would be great!

I'm not sure how feasible this is, but I think it would be perfect if each running VM would go into full-screen separately, so if I have 2-3 VMs running in full screen I could gesture-switch between them. Or, alternatively, maybe go for a full-screen tab approach: when Parallels Desktop is in full screen each VM is shown in a "tab", much like Safari.

6. GoldSoundz

GoldSoundz Bit poster

Apologies if I'm stating the bleedin' obvious here, or I've just misunderstood, but why not use Spaces? i have my Parallels VMs full-screen in different spaces with a four-finger swipe to flick between.

7. alonweinstein

It works differently in Lion

Spaces was pretty much removed in Lion, switching Parallels to full-screen works very much _not_ like it should in Lion. Try it out.

8. GoldSoundz

GoldSoundz Bit poster

Spaces has certainly not been removed, it's just expose and spaces have been merged into Mission Control... I have tried it, in fact I've been using it all day (when I'm working from home I need a Windows machine).

I full-screened my Windows 7 VM on one space, and have another for general Mac stuff, I've been flicking back and forth between them constantly with a four-finger swipe, it's great! Till now I've been using Coherence but this is actually much nicer to use and makes things a lot less cluttered.

9. GoldSoundz

GoldSoundz Bit poster

10. alonweinstein

I stand corrected -- but still think there's room for improvement here

Thanks GoldSoundz, I just installed Lion a few days ago and pretty much missed the elusive "Add Desktop" icon in Mission Control. So you're right, if you put Parallels on a different space and go full-screen it's OK. I did that in Snow Leopard as well.

But I still think Parallels Desktop should be updated to use the native full-screen mode Lion has to offer. I shouldn't have to create a new space for Parallels, move it there and go full-screen (and use a hot-key combination or a screen corner to go back to window mode) -- the VM's Windows should have the new "Full Screen" icon (like Safari, Mail, etc have) which when clicked should take that VM into Lion full-screen mode, automatically creating a space for it, and making the menu-bar available (including the Lion standard "go back to window mode" button) when the mouse travels to the top of the screen.

It's the little details that make good software into great software :)

11. Getintothegame

Getintothegame Bit poster

I completely agree. While the new desktop will work for now, I would like to see the implementation of this feature sometime in the near future!

12. ValiaV

ValiaV Bit poster

I also agree. Otherwise, if I use fullscreen mode, my Mission Control looks ugly (see attached). Maybe I should post it as a bug?

Attached Files: