PD6 + Lion = No!

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by bfindlay, Jul 20, 2011.

1. bfindlay

bfindlay Member

Updated PD6 to latest today. Downloaded OSX 10.7. Now when I launch my virtual machine, I get "Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem. I am running a boot camp partition, and to verify, I booted from Lion to Windows XP (bootcamp) and back - no problems there. However, when I launch parallels, it finds the partition, dements it (as it normally does), but then chokes. When I stop the virtual machine, the Boot Camp partition remounts on the OSX desktop.

Soo - don't know what to do here. All my software is update. PD6 build 6.0.12094 (as of today), and of course Lion is as fresh as can be.

Whats the move?

2. Crimguy

Crimguy Bit poster

Same problem. Applied update after installing Lion. Deleted the virtual desktop that parallels was using. Was able to start the vm but ended up with the same error. Ubuntu is working well though.

3. ChetM

ChetM Bit poster

Same problem here...I can boot into XP from bootcamp, but get the same error when trying to start XP in Parallels. I did download the latest update today.

4. man02195

man02195 Bit poster

5. bfindlay

bfindlay Member

Solved!

Perfect - that was it. Did exactly what the article suggested, and now it boots fine.

6. bfindlay

bfindlay Member

Perfect - that solved it! Thanks so much...

7. thnk2wn

thnk2wn Bit poster

The article says choose any other item in the Source list but in my case there is only one item in the list.

8. TheBum

TheBum Bit poster

I had the same issue. I actually deleted Hard Disk 1 and then created a new Hard Disk device to fix it.

9. snsokstan

snsokstan Member

Same problem , different solution

I had the same problem, but I could not solve with with the above KB solution. Once Windows attempted to start, I could not make any changes to Parallels configuration. Each of the Configuation windows gave me a message that the Virtual Machine needed to be stopped before changes could be made. But stopping the VM at that point reverted Parallels back to the opening state where you don't even see the menu item "virtual machine".

So I just created a new virtual machine based on my boot camp partition. parallels named it "Windows XP". it starred up fine and seems to work exactly as the Boot Camp virtual machine worked. I had to deactivate and reconfigure but that was no big deal.

My sig below should say "Lion" now.

10. thnk2wn

thnk2wn Bit poster

Removing hard disk 1 and re-adding it fixed my issue. A bit surprised that Parallels wasn't prepared for this.

11. Desertgeek

Desertgeek Bit poster

Eureka!

Same here!
    Removing the original virtual machine and creating a new one from the Bootcamp partition works fine!
    Now I can get back to work...

12. LourdesM

LourdesM Bit poster

would it solve with OS X Mountain Lion too? The installation said that it deleted parallel as it is not compatible with the new OS.

13. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

PDM6 is not compatible with Mountain Lion. So only PDM7 will work.