Beta 3150 - BSOD Installing Tools under XP Pro

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by petro, Feb 4, 2007.

1. petro

petro Member

Hi Parallels,

In all of the beta builds since the production release 1970, I've been unable to install Parallels Tools under WinXP Pro v2002 SP2. Every time I try and install it, I get a blue screen. See attached screen shot.

In the latest build, it seems there's been significantly less postings about problems installing Tools, so I'm starting to think this is something different than many users.

So I've tried:
    - De-installing Parallels completely, fresh install of 3150.
    - De-installing parallels tools from the guest OS and re-installing

What else can I try? What other info would be helpful to you to understand why tools crashes upon installation?

Attached Files:

2. don montalvo

don montalvo Hunter

i'm having the same problem...i'm trying to get a short clip so i can post. maybe that'll help the team figure out what's causing it.

don

3. petro

petro Member

FYI, I've created a new virtual machine with a fresh copy of WinXP SP1, then later installed Parallels Tools, and upgraded to SP2. Everything works fine.

My problem only is with my fully used virtual machine, with anti-spy and virus protection and a ton of other software on it. There's a bunch of info available when I google seached on the BSOD error messages, but I have yet to figure out what software or setting is the culprit.

On a side note, the auto-install of XP by just putting in my activation key didn't ever complete, even after a few reboots, and a second fresh attempt at it. I had to do a manual install of XP in a new VM. I have an *old* non SP2 XP disk. I'm guessing that could help cause the problem.

4. munkel

munkel Bit poster

what worked for me was this: I checked under device manager and the video card had some problems, yellow exclamation etc. I removed the video card and then was able to install tools just fine.

fwiw I had the4 same problems and same bsod.

Let me know if this works.

Mike

5. bunger

bunger Bit poster

So here is an update:

I booted to Windows through bootcamp and searched the registry for occurrences of "Parallels" until I found a folder called Parallels - which I deleted (I found that tip in another post). I then booted back to OS X and fired up Parallels and I did NOT get the BSOD! However, I didn't have any keyboard or mouse response (and I waited about 10 minutes). So I turned off Parallels and restarted. This time I had keyboard (still no mouse), so I logged in and Windows began installing the Tools drivers. Until.... the Parallels Video Driver got installed and then instant BSOD!

I am tired of trying to get it to work today, so I may pick back up on it tomorrow.....

B

6. blindzero

blindzero Bit poster

Anybody anything new about it?
    I've that BSOD problem too...I could uninstall the old Parallels Tools for Bootcamp and then started Parallels which brings some message that I shouldnt touch anything and that it will initialize this VM now...but then cyling with a BSOD again and again and again...

My Release 3150...

7. STim

STim Bit poster

bunger, blindzero - have you tried what munkel suggests in his post of this thread?

Best regards,
    Tim

8. bunger

bunger Bit poster

There is no Parallels video adapter listed when I boot through BootCamp and I can't boot to Windows long enough (it either dies or I do not have a keyboard/mouse) to look at Device Manager there.....

9. bunger

bunger Bit poster

10. petro

petro Member

Ah hah! I finally figured out a way to do this. In MacOS, mount the Parallels Tools ISO that's in /Library/Parallels/Tools of your MacOS hard drive.

Copy those files to a new folder on your mac.

Copy that new folder to the Windows XP virtual machine. To do this step, I had to setup Windows sharing in my MacOS sharing preference pane. I then connected to the Windows shared folder from my WinXP virtual machine.

Run the installer file PrlTools.exe in that directory from inside your WinXP virtual machine. Voila! Finally I have Parallels Tools, and everything appears to work fine!