Function Keys Working as in Previous Versions

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by SharelC, Jul 27, 2011.

1. SharelC

SharelC Bit poster

Function Keys Not Working as in Previous Versions

I have been a user of Parallels since 2005. I have grown very accustomed to working seamlessly with Parallels to accomplish my need for a few Windows-specific tasks.

I upgraded from Parallels 5 to 6 this week, and have found a simple, efficient part of my workflow to be broken by the new version.

I employ my Function keys to switch to the Mac applications that I use most often, so I can quickly jump from one to another. Parallels 6 still allows me to jump to my assigned applications, but it no longer disregards the command associated with the key in Windows. For example, if I'm in Excel and I push F1, it now opens the Help menu in Excel, and then goes to my desired Mac app. If I press Shift + F2, a comment is inserted in Excel and it leaves Parallels for the specified app. I don't want to have to "undo" the action taken when I return to my Windows environment each time.

I would like for the previous behavior to be possible, so it disregards the Windows command and only applies the Mac command.

I just spent a significant amount of time restoring Parallels 5 and my virtual machines to my computer.

If there is a solution to make Parallels 6 revert to the previous behavior, I'd appreciate instructions. If not, I'd like that to be incorporated as an option so that I can consider upgrading my software to Parallels 6 in the near future. Thank you.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  2. Mr. C.

Mr. C. Member

Take a look at Preferences > Keyboard and examine the Profiles. Each VM can be assigned to a keyboard profile. Tailor to your needs.

Also, don't forget the Mac's System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard "Use all F1, F2..." setting.

3. SharelC

SharelC Bit poster

Thank you for your response, Mr. C. However, your suggestions don't fix my problem.

I have the Keyboard system preference set correctly, and from the Mac OS side of things, they work correctly.

The keyboard profiles within Parallels don't keep the Windows programs from "grabbing" my keyboard shortcut before leaving Parallels to switch to my other Mac application.

4. DavidTa

DavidTa Bit poster

Thanks for the information

5. JackSwagger

JackSwagger Banned

I don't really understand the answer. Maybe I'll just contact the support team.