How to remove Windows icons from Mac desktop?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by ianwuk, May 30, 2011.

1. ianwuk

ianwuk Bit poster

Hello.

Even when my virtual machine (Windows 7) is not running there is a Windows icon on my Mac desktop which is the same as the one that is currently on my Virtual Machine. This means that if I delete it off my Mac desktop it gets removed from my Virtual Machine also. How can I keep the icon in my Virtual Machine but not have it show on my Mac desktop?

Thanks.

2. Roman Fattakhov

Roman Fattakhov Parallels Team

Hi,

Go to Virtual Machine Configuration > Options > Sharing > and uncheck "Access Windows folders from Mac"

3. ianwuk

ianwuk Bit poster

That did not work, unfortunately.

Basically, what happens is this.

I use my Windows 7 virtual machine and say I make a new folder on the Windows desktop the same folder will appear on my Mac desktop and does not disappear when the virtual machine session ends. If I delete it from the OSX desktop then when I start the virtual machine the folder will no longer be on the Windows 7 desktop.

Maybe I am doing it wrong and I clicked the wrong setting? I disabled all options within the 'sharing' section of the VM and I noticed that doing that made the EXE (PC) file I had stored on my Mac change icon so that it did not automatically fire up Parallels when executed.

I just want to be able to keep icons on my Windows 7 desktop that will not also be mirrored on the OSX desktop.

Thanks.

4. Rickygolucky

Rickygolucky Banned

This works for me very well. Thanks.[​IMG]

5. Smudge2

Smudge2 Member

This is because you have the option to share profiles between OSX and your Windows VM. This feature syncs, by default, the following locations.
    Desktop
    Documents
    Pictures
    Music
    Movies
    Downloads

If you don't want any of these OSX and Windows folders synced, go to Virtual Machine Configuration > Options > Sharing then uncheck "Shared Profile: Share Mac user folders with Windows".

If you want some folders synced but just not the desktop, go to the same screen but click on the Configure button then uncheck the Desktop option.

6. lech@kowalczyk.cz

lech@kowalczyk.cz Bit poster

Doesn't work for me

Hi All,

Please be so kind and try to help me. I'm running PD 6. Recently I've started to use more often Windows XP installed as a virtual machine. So, consequently I've installed more of Win applications what muck my Mac desktop! I've followed instructions stated here, switching of Desktop sharing in Profile sharing-nothing, then I've turned off whole Profile sharing-nothing happened.

Please help me. I really do not know what I'm doing wrong or maybe there is a bug in this version (CZ localization).

Regards and thanks in advance.

Lech