No sound in a Win98SE VM?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by LukeCh, Jan 28, 2011.

1. LukeCh

LukeCh Member

Okay, so I bought Parallels pretty much entirely to run old games I used to play as a kid. However, the Parallels website completely neglected to mention that Parallels Tools are not compatible with any OS earlier than Windows 2000. There's a video driver, but no audio, mouse, or file transfer drivers at all, making the system useless for the purpose I need.

Parallels support have been utterly useless and unapologetic about the issue, referring me to the User Guide which states this fact (because yeah, I totally had access to the User Guide before I bought the software).. I'd really like to get audio running in this VM.

Anyone experienced this issue, able to give me any advice as to how I can get the audio (and preferably the file transfers and stuff) working?

2. LukeCh

LukeCh Member

Still waiting for an answer on this one..

3. vibeguy

vibeguy Bit poster

Try this

I've spent the better part of today working the forums on this one too. When I installed my Windows 98 SE in Parallels 5, i had no sound and my video was on 640*480 max with 16 colors. I finally got both fixed.

Video:

go to http://kb.parallels.com/8539. Download the Parallel tools file it links to and replace your current video driver with the one provided. You can do this in device manager.

Audio.

I tried several audio drivers, but the one that worked for me was this one: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...s&os=228&tool=softwareCategory&product=213896

There are actually two drivers in the file. What I did was go to the audio driver I had under device manager and selected "update driver". From there I selected Have Disk and navigated the folder this driver installed. It will give you two options. I picked the second, vance AC97 Audio. It works like a charm. Hope this helps.

Paul

4. DaleE

DaleE Member

Vibeguy,

You do not say which mac. Different macs have different audio. Example the iMac 24 AC97 compatible sound. MacBook Pro must have a different audio driver. The W98SE install does not find a PCI Multimedia and the Mac System Profiler says High Definition Intel Audio.

Which Mac?
    Which driver should be used with which Mac?