Parallels Desktop for Mac build 3170 RC3 is available for download.

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by STim, Feb 15, 2007.

1. giles117

giles117 Junior Member

No Jerk, just vocal. Coherence is an awesome feature and it needs to work correctly. so far it limits us.

I am planning to move to a 3 monitor set up and would love for it to work properly.

I would love to be able to run this rig with a mixture of my OS X charting software and Windows trading platforms...

http://digitaltigers.com/zenview-arena-ultrahd.shtml

2. gegervision

gegervision Hunter

CPU Overage

I noticed the CPU usage for Parallels 3170 RC3 running at +-45% continually. I a bunch of tests and it drop to approx. +-16% continually when I disconnect my Treo 700w Pocket PC which is connected via USB running Active Sync 4.2 or any USB device for that matter on Windows XP Pro SP2. Once I reconnnect any USB device the CPU usage jumps back up to and stabilizes at +45%. I noticed this high CPU usage before while using 3150 RC2 but never associated it to the USB device attached until now.

Note: this happens with any USB device when connected that uses power from my Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.33ghz - 3gb RAM.

I've already sent the bug report into Parallels but want others to try and connect a USB device and see if you get the CPU increase like I did or if it's just isolated to my Windows XP/Parallels configuration.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2007
  3. newf709

newf709 Junior Member

Vista

Well....I installed Vista last night...not in Boot Camp..... and it works fine, a little slow but it works. Good job Parallels team!

4. cosjr

cosjr Bit poster

Video support could be better - Need DirectX9

I use MediaShout, a powerful presentation app for use in churches etc for media rich quick change presentations. MediaShout works okay in Parallels. There are three problems with Parallels that I have found.

1. Parallels doesn't support true dual displays, so Parallels can't be used to actually "present" a presentation on a second display. (Therefore when presenting you have to switch to BootCamp).

2. MediaShout has built in preview screens (small windows that show the actual presentation) within the application. Video does not display on the preview screens. There is also an overlay preview screen that displays the video "overlayed on top" of the application. That doesn't work either with video.

3. The latest (and apparently all forth coming) versions of MediaShout REQUIRE DirectX9 video card support. You can't even install the latest MediaShout version if DirectX9 isn't supported. Bummer, because I use MediaShout on my Macbook Pro to build presentations before taking to the show to run on the big mama PC system at the show.

Items 1 and 3 can be worked around using Bootcamp, but would like to stay in the Mac. Item 3 is really a hassle because we use a lot of Mac features when building presentations, and can't preview within MediaShout/Parallels the video.

Just putting in my desire to see the video side of Parallels to be improved.

Thanks for a very good application.

5. Billy Shears

Billy Shears Junior Member

Tools Install After Suspend

Why, with RC1, RC2 and now RC3, after I open a suspended desktop, it wants to reinstall Parallels Tools? I'm surprised it's not fixed.

Very simply, if you're running in Coherence and you choose Actions->Suspend and then reopen the session the Parallels tools installer comes on.

6. Billy Shears

Billy Shears Junior Member

Tools Install After Suspend

Why, with RC1, RC2 and now RC3, after I open a suspended session, it wants to reinstall Parallels Tools? I'm surprised it's not fixed.

Very simply, if you're running in Coherence and you choose Actions->Suspend and then reopen the session the Parallels tools installer comes on.

7. giles117

giles117 Junior Member

I have a question (though I might get yelled at.....

Have you tried Media Shout under VMware??? I know VMware Fusion doesnt have coherence mode, but it may work. I noticed OS's under vmware run a bit faster than they do under Parallels.

Understand People. I am a DAILY Parallels user (EVERYDAY ALL DAY LONG) But I sometimes check stuff in VMware so I can get my request list to parallels worked out. :)

Of course some things are based on the video card emulation that Parallels is working on so we get true 3D graphic support.

I use Fusion as a troubleshooting program. I use Parallels as my work horse. in percentages VM 1% parallels 99% (ok enough of my disclaimer. LOL)

Just a thought

8. giles117

giles117 Junior Member

I decided to run a quick test on what you said. When I re-entered the session, Parallels tools installer didnt come on for me. Did you install the complete set or a custom set???

This was under XP. Hadnt tried my Vista install yet.

9. cjcmc

cjcmc Bit poster

Had to shut down my MacBook Pro without quiting parallels as system hanged. After restarting OSx I tried to access Vista via Parallels and now all I get is a message : "Error reading disk. Press crtl+alt+del to restart". I try to do so but error persists.
    Can you tell me what to do? I am afraid that I've lost all information I had :eek: .

10. mgorbach

mgorbach Member

To fix the parallels tools installer issue, just unmount the parallels tools disk image.
    It won't bother you any more.

11. pbw

pbw Member

Unexpected quit

Yup, I can confirm that 3170 (XP) still crashes for me, too. I'll send the crash log but I've pretty much lost hope that this will ever be fixed. I've wasted a ton of time trying to isolate the problem since 3120 (see my other posts) and even reported a workaround. But I haven't seen any hint from the Parallels team that they're trying to address this. Maybe not enough people are experiencing this?

I just can't believe this isn't happening to more people. I have a pretty simple OS X (10.4.8) install and a VERY clean install of XP. And Parallels can't even run a few hours just sitting in the XP desktop with nothing running or no USB devices connected.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2007
  12. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

please please always save and back up your data

I prefer to keep my data in the mac folders

so it remains available when the VM is not running

just good housekeeping on any machine
    even back up by using google mail to send yourself critical files as atachments for a freebie back up out of house

eg
    if your machine gets stolen

Hugh W

13. babydoc

babydoc Junior Member

Thanks, your sarcastic reply is both educational and reassuring that some folks shouldnt be in a position to offer help. Im sorry if this taxed you, but frankly, no I didnt recall how to do it, but gee, now I feel well educated regarding my question and how disresepctful other people, or perhaps just you, can be when someone needs a question answered.

14. psyfil

psyfil Member

Fatal Error In Virtual Machine Monitor!

15. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

tools auto install failed

parallels RC3 >> menus >> Actions >> installing Parallels tools

on running after the upgrade first time
    no dialogue boxes or anything

so after the next reboot
    I got the usual
    install P tools
    which worked OK

so on this machine auto install failed

I do use a pasword on the mac installer when i add new stuff

I have dropped tea timer on WInXP for now

Hugh W

16. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

tools auto install failed

parallels RC3 >> menus >> Actions >> installing Parallels tools

on running after the upgrade first time
    no dialogue boxes or anything

so after the next reboot
    I got the usual
    install P tools
    which worked OK

so on this machine auto install failed

I do use a password on the mac installer when i add new stuff

I have dropped tea timer on WInXP for now

Hugh W

17. billaquino

billaquino Junior Member

Successfully synched my Palm TX with Frankling PlanPlus v5.1 via USB. Speed is noticably faster with USB2.

Only problem was BSOD on first WinXP boot. Executed a Safe Boot, installed Parallels Tools...rebooted. Problem resolved.

18. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

So you've learned nothing then. Did you even try the search tool here? That was the answer you needed whether you recognize it or not.

19. cconnor

cconnor Bit poster

Well I've emailed Parallels Tech Support but not heard a word :( :mad: . Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions -

At some point through using RC2 the Vista image started BSODing on boot up. I can’t Safe Mode or Last known Good Config or repair the installation. Thought I’d wait for RC3 which I’ve just upgraded to but it’s still BSODing L.

It’s running on a macbook Pro (2Ghz Core Duo) with 2Gb RAM.

[​IMG]

Cheers

20. snak-pak

snak-pak Member

kernel panics with RC3

Getting a lot of hard kernel panics with RC3. As in, walk away from the computer to make some tea, come back and machine has rebooted - that's pretty harsh. Reminds me of the early days with Parallels. Using Coherence mode (which, incidentally, doesn't open up on the right screen anymore when using a dual display).

The hard kernel panics are sometimes the Apple style "hold down your power button to reset" and not very pretty! Other times, machine just cycles power - ouch! Hope you guys get this figured out.

regards,

snak-pak

Last edited: Feb 17, 2007