OSX10.7 Lion and Parallels Issue

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by JasonHB, Jul 20, 2011.

1. alev

alev Parallels Team

Default VM location is: /Users/<username>/Documents/Parallels
    You could check VM names in terminal: prlctl list -a

2. David R.

David R. Bit poster

Thanks, Alev! this has resolved my issue. After moving my .pvm file Parallels would open alerting me that it could not find the file. From there, I removed the .pvm file from the list, and created a new one from my Boot Camp partition. Now Parallels is running just fine in Lion. Thank you for your help!

3. DerrickO

DerrickO Bit poster

VM is offscreen

I installed Lion and the Parallels update. I get the list of VMs but when I launch Windows 7, the screen is offscreen. When I toggle between spaces I see it, but it wont go to a primary screen. Any idea on how I can get the screen in a usable area? I have tried this on my laptop and withy multiple monitors and still no luck.

4. sasdrq

sasdrq Junior Member

I've got the same issue as DerrickO. My Windows VM window shows, but not my FreeBSD VM consoles. They are running but I have no console to see. Also the config windows don't show. Accept when I switches spaces. It shows briefly then disappears.

5. DerrickO

DerrickO Bit poster

Figured it out

You have to close all the desktops until you only have 1 and then you can launch it and the windows are accessible. Retarded but it works.

6. sasdrq

sasdrq Junior Member

Thanks DerrickO. That did it.

7. IvoryC

IvoryC Member

The Boot Camp partition "/dev/disk0s3" used by Hard Disk 1 is not supported.

8. alev

alev Parallels Team

The Boot Camp hard disk number on Mac OS X Lion differs from the one you had in Snow Leopard. Mac OS X Lion adds recovery partition.

Remove Hard Disk from VM configuration and then add it again. After that VM will start as always.

We will address the issue in next update.

9. thejtothek

thejtothek Bit poster

Lion Boot Camp(XPP) partition "<not available>" ?

I did this(followed this KB's instructions) and there is nothing there. Did i do something wrong?

My PD6 is working and was working(before Lion) just fine. In fact, it is better with Lion. But it is bothering me(making me really concerned, in fact) that I can't see my XPP partition in Disk Utility(or in the Startup Disk area in SP of Lion). Which leads me to believe that it is not a partition anymore.

How concerned should I be and what's the solution?

10. bcoss

bcoss Bit poster

What if you can't get to the configuration screen

The configuration screen does 1 of 2 things:

1: I can't see it or switch to it, but the configuration window is open. If I click and hold on the parallels icon on the dock and choose show all windows I can see it there. No amount of clicking or app switching enables me to select this window

2: After the VM starts up and crashes I can no longer even get the right click-> configure menu from the virtual machine window (Solution: don't say "OK" to the error message, instead select virtual machine window and right click)

Sad Lion has been out for several weeks (beta for months) and these issues still haven't been addressed.

11. Jan-ErikG

Jan-ErikG Bit poster

I have the same problem. "It starts to load and I then get a dialog box appear, it disappears too quickly to be able to read and then Parallels closes.".

I have also tried "You could right click PD icon, select "Virtual Machines List". Right click on VM in list, select "Configure..." whereby nothing happens.

If I could just get access to "Configuration" then I could go with:

Click on 'Virtual Machine', choose 'Configure', go to 'Hardware' and select 'Hard Disk 1'.
    Remove Hard Disk 1 by pressing the "-" sign and save the changes.
    Then add the Hard Disk by pressing the "+" sign and choose your Boot Camp partition hard disk.
    Save the changes, close the configuration window and try to start your virtual machine.

Has anyone been able to figure this out?

12. sasdrq

sasdrq Junior Member

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

13. DeShawnB

DeShawnB Hunter

Could you take a look at this KB article? http://kb.parallels.com/en/111629

Let me know if it applies to you. Would love to help out.

14. Jan-ErikG

Jan-ErikG Bit poster

But the problem is that we can not even do step 1 according to the KB article. There are two ways to get to "Configure" -> "Hardware" and in the first approach the dialog box disappears before anyone can do anything and in the second approach nothing happens when you click on "Configure".

In other words, I am sure that the KB article is right and will solve the problem but we never get that far...

15. Tom Collignon

Tom Collignon Member

Just turn off "use animations". You can find it in Parallels Desktop (menu bar) and then choose preferences.
    Propably your VM will not shut down anymore. Also the problem of autostart vm is also gone with this solution.