Parallels on Vista and 4GB RAM

Discussion in 'Parallels Workstation for Windows and Linux' started by ogeorgi, Feb 16, 2007.

1. ogeorgi

ogeorgi Bit poster

There seems to be a big problem when running Parallels Workstation on Windows Vista with more than 3.5GB of RAM installed. My system has 4GB of RAM. Virtual machine can not be started. Parallels shows a message telling PAE setting needs to be changed in "boot.ini". But on Vista the file "boot.ini" does not exist anymore. So it's not possible to run Parallels on such computer.

Here some details:
    Windows Vista Business 32Bit
    4GB RAM
    Core 2 Duo

VirtualPC 2007 and VMWare are working very well on that system.

I got no response on my support requests by email or online support form.

regards
    Oliver

Last edited: Feb 16, 2007
  2. ckuske

ckuske Bit poster

3. ogeorgi

ogeorgi Bit poster

Thanks for the link.

But I think this cannot be the preferred solution. See VirtualPC and VMWare Beta6 - both can handle memory without such setting.

The problem at the moment - Parallels Workstation is not fully Vista compatible.

Until this is solved I will go on working with VirtualPC 2007 which is working very well.

I'm angry about Parallel's support and limited (nearly non) information regarding forthcoming releases. By the way - I have paid for Parallels...

Oliver

4. zombiexl

zombiexl Bit poster

Thats great for you, but MS left us with Vista Home Premium (was preinstalled on my laptop) out in the cold. I'll be damned if I'll pay to upgrade to ultimate to get it to work, and there is no option of upgrading to Business (which I legitimately have licenses for through a MAPS).

I left VirtPC because of this and have yet to be overly impressed with vmware (way overpriced in the market space they share) or parallels, although I did just buy a parallels license for some extensive testing.

5. Archy

Archy Bit poster

Hello,
    Thank you for report. We will investigate this problem.

6. ogeorgi

ogeorgi Bit poster

2 months later and no reaction on support request

Sorry, what the hell has happen to Parallels?

I can't believe. SUPPORT = ZERO!!!

Why is it NOT possible to update Parallels Workstation to support Vista. 4GB of RAM on desktop machine is normal today and should make no difference.

I really want to get back my money.

I remember that News:
    http://www.parallels.com/en/news/id,10311
    This is really why I bought Parallels Workstation...

Oliver

7. SteveRichards

SteveRichards Junior Member

8. ogeorgi

ogeorgi Bit poster

Sorry, this is not the problem I have - my Vista is running very well with 4GB since Vista (32Bit) is available!

My problem: Parallels Workstation is not working on Vista as host because my computer has 4GB. VirtualPC and also VMware working very well (without additional software or patching system or whatever). Parallels should be able too...

(By the way - KB929777 is installed on my system since 15.02.2007)

Oliver

Last edited: May 9, 2007
  9. SteveRichards

SteveRichards Junior Member

I just thought I'd offer it up. I don't know what the problem may be, probably something with the 32bit/4gb limit and the way the only partially support PAE in the current version...