RC2 Still has "Unable to Allocate Virtual Machine Memory" on Mac Pro!!

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by DerekS, Feb 1, 2007.

1. DerekS

DerekS Member

:mad:

I am very frustrated by this. I depend on Parallels for my daily work, and I have to constantly reboot, reduce the memory to the VM, or both to work around this bug.

Can I get some response that this issue is actually being addressed?

2. DerekS

DerekS Member

Bump - please add to this thread if you see this issue.

I'm on a MacPro with 3g of ram and tons of empty disk.

3. VTMac

VTMac Pro

Depending on beta software .. not a good idea....
    You do understand that beta and release candidate mean that aren't supported and that they probably do still have bugs, right?

4. CountZero

CountZero Member

Go to System Properties (i.e. right click on My Computer->Properties). Go to Advanced tab and click on Performance Settings button.

In the Performance Options window, select the Advanced tab, then click on Virtual Memory's Change button.

Select "System managed size" in the Paging file size for selected drive area. Remember to click on the "Set" button before you exit out of this window.

Windows will probably now ask you to reboot. If it doesn't, reboot anyway. :)

The next time it boots up, it may take a little longer since Windows may be allocating new disk space for the virtual memory swap file.

5. fbronner

fbronner Pro

Do you get this error in windows or on the MAC?

6. DerekS

DerekS Member

Beta/RC is not an excuse, IMO. This is a new problem that came up in the last several builds (can't recall which one or I'd just revert.) It used to work fine.

7. DerekS

DerekS Member

Thanks but the error is on the Mac side, in Parallels before the VM even starts up.

8. toonerh

toonerh Bit poster

This always happens to me when I open two virtual machines. Don't need to start the first one at all - the second gives the error. If I close the first, error remains.

Fix is to quit Parallels and restart with only one VM. Same behavior through RC2.

9. DerekS

DerekS Member

I wish that was my issue, I get it when running just one VM at a time.

I have 3G RAM in my MacPro system and I am trying to give 1.5G to Parallels. Sometimes it works, sometimes I get the annoying error and have to reboot.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2007
  10. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

11. DerekS

DerekS Member

Bump to keep this issue raised - I'm not going away until it's fixed! This one is extremely annoying and disruptive to my day. I can't believe more people aren't experiencing it - perhaps it's specific to Mac Pro.

12. RichP

RichP Bit poster

Might be an easy fix.

I saw this problem when I was trying to share a single virtual disk file between several user accounts on the same Mac. The creator of the file would access it no prob, but the other two accounts couldn't, making me think it was a permissions issue. I was right.

So, I just ran repair permissions, then changed the permissions on the virtual disk files to "Read + Write" for everyone, and it works fine now. I don't get the Virtual Memory alloc error anymore.

13. CountZero

CountZero Member

I am not sure it is specific to Mac Pro. I have 2.66GHz with 2GB RAM and I have never had this problem. I allocated 917MB of RAM to XP VM and it runs great for hours on end.

14. ericw

ericw Bit poster

I was having this problem with a VM shared between two users on my mac; the suggestion RichP provided solved the problem. Thanks Rich!

-Eric