Are you running Parallels with dual video cards on Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by rickross, Feb 16, 2007.

1. rickross

rickross Member

I have been trying for months to pin down the cause of a grizzly, hard-crashing problem with Parallels on my Mac Pro. I even went so far as to have the motherboard, ram and video cards replaced in attempts to rule out defective hardware. I have religiously tried every build of Parallels for many months, but they all exhibit the same crashing problem.

Finally, I read in the forums that another user with a nearly identical hardware setup is experiencing nearly identical crashing symptoms. It reassures me that I am not experiencing an amazingly improbable scenario where I have replaced defective hardware with defective replacement hardware. All my hardware tests correctly in Apple's extended diagnostics.

So, is there anyone else out there running Parallels on a Mac Pro with dual video cards? If so, have you been experiencing any weird lockups of your entire Mac desktop? When it happens to me, the machine keeps running, the mouse keeps moving, and iTunes will even play to the end of the current song - but the desktop becomes completely unresponsive and I have to reboot the machine by pressing and holding the power button for several seconds.

Please share your experiences. If you have Parallels on a Mac Pro with dual video cards, then have you had any problems? Did you identify any solutions?

Thanks,
    Rick

---
    Mac Pro - dual 2.66Ghz cpus
    Dual ATI XT1900 video cards
    4Gb ram
    all firmware and OS patches up to date

2. CountZero

CountZero Member

I have the same setup (apart from 2GB of RAM vs. 4GB), and I only had one hard crash since 3120. I think it was 3120 and since then it was plain sailing. My video card is not hooked up to two monitors though, just one.

3. woodsmithnh

woodsmithnh Bit poster

I have a Mac Pro with dial video cards and 3 monitors and have not had any stability problems with Parallels (I'm at RC2 right now). Coherence has been rock solid and now the RDC problem with Coherence has been fixed. The only thing that I have a problem with is getting the mutiple displays to work. I just have too much screen real-estate for Parallels to support until they handle multiple virtual adapters.

4. rickross

rickross Member

Thanks for your reply. Which video cards are you using?

Rck

5. woodsmithnh

woodsmithnh Bit poster

I have 2 NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT rom v.3008 with 256 MB, so there is some difference there.