Keyboard Mappings Not working on upgrade to Lion with Windows XP Guest OS

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by alainca, Jul 22, 2011.

1. alainca

alainca Bit poster

Hi... just upgraded to Lion, and have the very latest desktop for mac. My copy and paste mac keyboard shortcuts have stopped mapping correctly and are being ignored. How do I report this to Parallels, without paying for a support ticket? I checked the mapping settings, and it correctly says that CMD C should map to Control C, but it doesn't. Thanks!

2. DanyWu

DanyWu Bit poster

I have not upgraded my OS to Lion, but I have applied the latest update which was supposed to provide Lion support as well. This problem exists for me too! I think it's a problem with the update, not with Lion itself... perhaps...

3. DanyWu

DanyWu Bit poster

Uninstalling and reinstalling Parallels Tools fixed it for me...

4. RujusMacBook

RujusMacBook Member

I can confirm that uninstalling and reinstalling Parallels tools fixes this on the latest version of Parallels (6.0.12094) and Windows 7. The interesting part is that I did a clean installation of Windows 7 straight from Lion, so I dont see why I would need to reinstall Parallels tools, but it worked.

5. Rickygolucky

Rickygolucky Banned

It's not a problem with the update. Maybe you should try to reinstall the Parallels Tools. It's a good fix.

6. Pebowski

Pebowski Bit poster

It also works for me. But just only one time. After closing Parallels and restart the Mac, it was the sane as before.

Regards,
    Peter

7. James T.S

James T.S Junior Member

Keyboard Mappings not working also on MacOS X 10.6.8 with Windows XP SP3 Guest OS

I haven’t upgraded to Lion, I’m still on 10.6.8, and the shared keyboard mappings are also not working for me.

I uninstalled, and reinstalled Parallels Tools multiple times, and this fixes the problem for a short time, but the problem *keeps* coming back.

I was using “Virtual Machine -> Suspend“ on my Windows XP SP3 system, and it seemed that every time I resumed, the shared keyboard mappings were gone. I had to uninstall the Parallels Tools and reinstall them again for the shared keyboard mappings to come back.

Unfortunately the next time I suspended and resumed XP, the shared keyboard mappings were again gone.

After going through this several times, I decided to try shutting down XP rather than suspending it. That worked for one day, but then the next day, today, the shared keyboard mappings were _once_again_ gone.

Based on all this, I suspect the problem is not necessarily tied to Lion.

This has gotten *very* annoying. Is there any information I can gather that will help the Parallels team solve this?

I’m running Parallels 6 - Build 6.0.12094.

Windows XP SP3
    Memory: 1G
    Virtual CPUs: 2

My Mac -

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro4,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.6 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 6 MB
    Memory: 6 GB
    Bus Speed: 800 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: MBP41.00C1.B00
    SMC Version (system): 1.28f3
    Serial Number (system): W88110TR1SG
    Hardware UUID: 3B921445-CB16-5F33-BBC4-3F770E889335
    Sudden Motion Sensor:
    State: Enabled

System Software Overview:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K540)
    Kernel Version: Darwin 10.8.0
    Boot Volume: Macintosh HD
    Boot Mode: Normal
    Computer Name: -------------------------
    User Name: ---------------------
    Secure Virtual Memory: Enabled
    64-bit Kernel and Extensions: No
    Time since boot: 2 days 10:50

James T. Savidge, Wednesday, August 3, 2011

8. bootmec

bootmec Bit poster

Broken Keyboard Mapping function won't fix itself

Hello Parallels team - broken keyboard mapping function won't fix itself. It showed up for me when I "upgraded" to Build 6.0.12094 - I had already been using the previous (and fully functional) build with Lion and XP.

It's been at least a week since it was reported to you... I upgraded yesterday... after Parallels emailed me that it would be a good idea... would have been nice if Parallels has stopped distributing this "update" until this major bug was fixed. Are there any grown ups in your management team? Why keep distributing a know broken product?

So we need:

a fix OR a workaround OR procedure to regress to previous build.

If you did regression testing you would find these bugs BEFORE shipping instead of annoying us and wasting our time.
    I'd rather wait a bit for an update that works correctly.

9. NathanT

NathanT Junior Member

I'm having problems too. However, if you drop into parallels settings and toggle a keyboard mapping, it will "kick" the VM into getting the right ones (until you restart Parallels again, that is)

10. PamelaDG

PamelaDG Bit poster

Keyboard Mapping not working consistently; Parallels 6.0; Mac OS 10.6.8

I am having the same problem as you others have described. Nice to know I'm not alone. Parallels folks, please fix this! It IS annoying.

11. James T.S

James T.S Junior Member

I tried that, and unfortunately it didn’t work for me.

James T. Savidge, Friday, August 5, 2011

12. RujusMacBook

RujusMacBook Member

This problem came back and now neither reinstalling Parallels tools nor restarting helps. I'm not sure how to fix it now. A response/fix from the Parallels staff would be greatly appreciated.

13. BDM1981

BDM1981 Bit poster

I am having the same issue but haven't upgraded to Lion yet. Below are my system specs:

OSX 10.6.8
    Parallels: 6.0.12094
    Guest OS: Windows 7

This is killing my productivity! Please let me know when this has been resolved.

14. Matthew Warren

Matthew Warren Bit poster

I am also having this problem on Snow Leopard -- it is build 12094, not Lion

I am also having this problem.

OSX 10.6.8
    Parallels: 6.0.12094
    Guest OS: Windows XP

I lose my keymappings every time I run parallels. The only solution -- "solution" is putting it strongly -- is to uninstall and reinstall Parallels Tools. This restores my keymappings for that session, but I lose them again as soon as I quit Parallels. This problem appeared with build 12094 and must be related to that build. Please fix as soon as possible, as it is needless-to-say infuriating to have to uninstall and reinstall Parallels Tools every time. Thanks.

15. RujusMacBook

RujusMacBook Member

Found a solution. This seems to be a problem with Coherence mode. Try switching from Coherence to Window mode and then back again. Seems to solve it for me.

16. James T.S

James T.S Junior Member

This has temporarily solved the problem the two times I have resumed from a suspended Win XP SP3.

It seems to be an usable work-around for me until the problem is fixed.

James T. Savidge, Tuesday, August 16, 2011

17. RujusMacBook

RujusMacBook Member

Glad to hear it. I should attribute the solution to another thread on the issue here. Hopefully Parallels is working on fixing this bug as we speak.