Gnome 3

Discussion in 'Linux Guest OS Discussion' started by valeriol, Jun 14, 2011.

1. valeriol

valeriol Bit poster

I installed Fedora 15 (64 bit), which uses Gnome 3, but it reverts to "fallback mode". Reading the Fedora documentation it says that you need a 3D graphics card to use Gnome 3 and that VM's are not supported. I'm not sure if that includes Parallels or not. Doesn't Parallels support 3D graphics ? If not now, is it planned in future releases ?

Thanks,

2. valeriol

valeriol Bit poster

Solved ?

The Gnome 3 desktop came up on it's own. I don't know what changed, it did it all by itself ... gremlins, gremlins ...

3. valeriol

valeriol Bit poster

More info

It still doesn't work properly. Every time you log in the display show only the top-left quarter and you have to fool around with the display settings to get it to work properly.

Also, Gnome 3 "captures" the Windows/System/Apple key for it's own use. Most personal key mappings that involve the Apple key don't work; pressing the left one by itself goes to the "Activities Overview", which makes it painful to use "<TAB>-<Apple>" to switch to other applications on the Mac side (one would have to get used to using the right-hand Apple key). It doesn't seem possible to modify this behavior (I don't find any settings in the schema) and a Google search only returns posts by people who rave about this feature.

For now I'm using the "Fallback Mode" (+/- Gnome 2) and will wait to see if the new version becomes more flexible.

4. KentonT

KentonT Member

Also Unsuccessful getting Gnome3 to fully run in latest Parallels

I have been less fortunate trying to run Gnome3 under latest Parallels + Lion. It always "falls back" in both OpenSUSE and Fedora. Any ideas what finally got it to run for you?

Parallells Team: Any hope for a progress update on this? I realize it's a niche segment, but just some indication would be nice.

5. valeriol

valeriol Bit poster

I'm not using Lion, so I don't know how it would behave with the version of the O/S. With 10.6 I have to toggle between window mode and full-screen mode to get it to work properly.

6. KentonT

KentonT Member

Solution

Serv's solution on this related post solved the problem for me:

http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=112144

"To enable Gnome 3 in PD6 right now you need to either disable SELinux or replace /usr/libexec/gnome-session-check-accelerated-helper with symbolic link to /bin/true"

7. valeriol

valeriol Bit poster

Interesting, thanks.

8. valeriol

valeriol Bit poster

I am running PD7 beta, don't know if it works for this version as well. As soon as I can check, I will post an update.

9. JEarles

JEarles Hunter

I can confirm that the symbolic link solution worked for me, using Parallels Desktop Build 6.0.12094 and Fedora-15-x86_64-Live-Desktop.iso.