mac os x ferezes when waking form hibernation with VM running

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by gfbgbgb, Feb 21, 2011.

1. gfbgbgb

gfbgbgb Bit poster

Mac OS X freezes when waking form hibernation with VM running

Hi,

I run Parallels Desktop 6.0.11992 on Mac OS X 10.6.6 on a Macbook Pro. The VM I work with contains Windows 7 Enterprise (32bit). I usually let the Macbook Pro hibernate - have all it's content written to disk as opposed to RAM - instead of sleep.

When I do this (hibernating) when the VM is running the Mac hibernates correctly. When I wake the Mac up, what I see is the blurred desktop, a progress meter moving from left to right but instead of finishing and displaying the desktop, the progress meter halts at about 3/4 of it's width and the Mac is frozen. I have to do a hard reset (keeping the on-off button pressed for 5 secs to restart the machine). I expect the Mac OS X desktop to come up in the state it was when I put it to hibernate.
    When I do a suspend on the VM before hibernating the Mac - while the VM is running I choose "suspend" from the parallels desktop Virtual Machine menu - the Mac does correctly wake up from hibernation so this problem has to do with Parallels not being compatible with the Mac hibernation mode.

Anything I can do to make it work??

Thanks,

Marc

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  2. pgorbas

pgorbas Bit poster

BUMP

Good Question!

8 weeks later where is the Parallels Support Answer!

Production is as good as it's support - Forum Support here is almost nill!

3. gfbgbgb

gfbgbgb Bit poster

I did some research and read that the Parallels VM might not be compatible with the OS X's hibernation mode. Default is sleep, keeping disk contents in RAM. I have set hibernate, writing contents to disk instead of RAM. This can be changed in the terminal via the pmset command or via a widget like deep sleep. Might be the culprit...

4. gfbgbgb

gfbgbgb Bit poster

OS X freezes when waking up with VM active

Hello. My issue is this:
    when I run a W7 in a Parallels environment and I choose to hibernate the guaes OS (Mac OS X) when waking up, Mac OS X freezes. What happens is that the progress bar stops at 2/3 and I have to do a hard reset (keep on/off button pressed for 5 secs).

this only happens when hibernating (hibernatemode 25) and not when OSX is sleeping (hibernatemode 0);
    this happens in Mac OS X 10.6.7 and Parallels 6.0.11994.
    Below are lines from the Parallels log prior to the crash containing errors:

=========================
    06-02 17:21:05.166 F /gui:356:207/ SDK Process is warming up
    06-02 17:21:05.166 F /cmn_utils:356:207/ ParallelsDirs::Init( ) was called. Current app mode = 1 ( DESKTOP_MAC ) build version: 6.0.11994.637263 Thu, 17 Feb 2011 04:59:10
    06-02 17:21:05.176 F /cmn_utils:356:207/ Error: ParallelsDirs::getAppExecuteMode() called without initialize!!! You should use ParallelsDirs::Init() before. Return 65535
    06-02 17:21:05.176 F /cmn_utils:356:207/ Error: ParallelsDirs::getAppExecuteMode() called without initialize!!! You should use ParallelsDirs::Init() before. Return 65535
    06-02 17:21:05.359 W /disp:262:200f/ handleClientConnected
    06-02 17:21:05.373 F /disp:262:200f/ Processing command 'DspCmdUserLoginLocal' 2040
    06-02 17:21:05.389 F /disp:262:200f/ Processing command 'DspCmdUserLoginLocalStage2' 2041
    06-02 17:21:05.516 F /disp:262:8903/ Task '26Task_PatchParentalControls' with uuid = {01e7a667-189e-4a4f-8b09-e73468e4906e} was started
    06-02 17:21:05.525 F /disp:262:200f/ Parallels user [marcbakker@.] successfully logged on( LOCAL ). [sessionId = {7844738b-aeea-4b84-8424-d4b8edd7975a} ]
    06-02 17:21:05.532 W /cmn_utils:262:200f/ User with name marcbakker
    06-02 17:21:05.532 W /cmn_utils:262:200f/ User with home path /Users/marcbakker
    06-02 17:21:05.550 F /disp:262:200f/ Session with uuid[ {7844738b-aeea-4b84-8424-d4b8edd7975a} ] was started.
    06-02 17:21:05.666 W /disp:262:200f/ handleClientDisconnected
    06-02 17:21:05.668 F /gui:356:207/ GUI Process is warming up
    06-02 17:21:05.690 W /disp:262:8903/ failed to start naptd proxy for parental control err=256
    06-02 17:21:05.690 F /disp:262:8903/ Task '26Task_PatchParentalControls' with uuid = {01e7a667-189e-4a4f-8b09-e73468e4906e} was finished with result PRL_ERR_SUCCESS (0) )
    06-02 17:21:06.903 F /gui:356:207/ AHRegisterHelpBook failed with err == -50
    06-02 17:21:06.904 F /gui:356:207/ creating window 0xbffff5d4
    06-02 17:21:07.048 F /gui:356:207/ Creating Mac menu bar...
    06-02 17:21:07.049 F /gui:356:207/ (!)Error: can't find menu view
    06-02 17:21:07.053 F /gui:356:207/ Destructing application object
    06-02 17:21:07.061 F /gui:356:207/ finished
    ==============================

I guess most users don't experience this issue since in Mac OS hibernation is not enabled by default.

Does anyone from Parallels support know what's causing OS X to crash and how to remedy this?

I'm glad to provide more information if needed.

Marc

5. zia

zia Bit poster

me too

I am experiencing the exact same issue on OSX 10.6.7 and parallels 6.0 on a MacBook Pro 13" newest generation (2011). I have 4GB DDR3 RAM and an 80GB Intel SSD drive.

When I put my mac in sleep (hibernatemode=0) then I do not get the issue.
    When I put my mac in hibernate (hibernatemode=1 or hibernatemode=5) then:
    - If Parallels is running with a VM open my mac will never wake up from hibernate. The loading bar will get to ~ 2/3 then I will get intermittent beeps. At that point I have to press the power button for 4 seconds to shutdown and restart the mac.
    - If Parallels is not running, then the mac will wake up normally from its hibernate after a couple of seconds.

Please fix this debilitating issue!

Thanks

6. zia

zia Bit poster

Problem fixed. Switched to VirtualBox.

7. MannyCastaneda

MannyCastaneda Bit poster

I've been having this same issue. It's force me to modify the default sleep mode when I close the lid since I usually have Parallels running. It;s quite annoying and it's still an issue in OSX Lion.

8. petermil

petermil Bit poster

My OS: recently updated to Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8. Keyboard: Apple USB. Mouse: Apple Magic Mouse (Bluetooth). I have Parallels Desktop for Mac Build 6.0.12092 which apparently is the latest bar the Lion update.

I routinely use the machine with hibernatemode set in Terminal to 1 (sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 1) so I can return to my work from sleep without shutting down applications (including those in my virtual machine). Sometimes I use 3 which also saves the memory to disk so I can shut off power if I wish, after waiting a minute or so, and the machine will return to where it was without a restart.

Never had any problem before the Mac OS update. However since the update, on switch-on after sleep, while all the apps return as expected, I can't use them because the mouse and keyboard are unresponsive.

I tried lots of things from the Apple forum etc., including deleting specific plist files, clearing PRAM etc., etc., none worked.
    Eventually I found that it only happens if my Parallels Desktop virtual machine is running (Windows XP Home).

It happens wherever the focus was when I entered sleep, whether a Windows or a Mac application.

To workaround it, I have to suspend the virtual machine by quitting Parallels Desktop, then the mouse and keyboard will be recognized OK on returning from hibernate.

So it seems as if since my OS update, some incompatibility is causing Parallels if running to somehow prevent the OS from communicating with its keyboard and mouse after a return from hibernate.

I'm out of free support from Parallels so have just submitted this as a problem report.

Looks like others have experienced similar but not identical problem. Also looks like nobody can shed light on it! I wouldn't go so far as to switch to another virtual machine application, though, otherwise I find Parallels excellent.

9. DHarman

DHarman Member

I have the issue with black screen and lockup if I put the screen down on my 2011 air and parallels is running. Only happens after a bit of time, not immediately. Have to hard reboot to deal. I raised support ticket and got told they are aware but they won't let me track it as its on internal support queue and blah blah may not be prioritised blah blah ... Its driving me nuts. I work on a train every day and I need to be able to fold the screen down without having to hard reset 2 os at once every time I do it.

10. MikeOsborn

MikeOsborn Bit poster

Same issue here. Please keep us posted on your ticket. This is pretty much a deal breaker for me with Parallels. I want instant on/off and battery life with my MBA, having to go into a meeting and hard-reset my machine is not an option. Looking at VMW and VirtualBox now.

11. FxP

FxP Bit poster

"me too" too

Exact same problem as Zia, rather annoying; every time I forget to sleep my running VM, I have to hard reset my MacBook Pro and loose all my ongoing work.
    Actually, it's not rather annoying but extremely irritating indeed.

12. Yongbin Kim

Yongbin Kim Junior Member

I second to DHarman. I have a mid 2011 Macbook Air 13' (newest model) and if my Macbook Air goes to sleep while Parallels 7 is running with Windows 7, Macbook Air does not wake up (black screen and lockup). So, whenever I need to close the lid (screen) of my Macbook Air, I quit Parallels 7 first, not to loose my work and put my Macbook Air to sleep. This should be corrected. BTW, I updated my copy of Parallels 7 to the latest version.

13. rfastturnlow

rfastturnlow Bit poster

Same Issue - 2011MBA & ||'s 7

Same issue with the 2011 Macbook Air & Lion OS. When windows 7 is running in Parallels 7 I get the black screen after I try and bring it out of deep sleep/hibernate. I mention the deep sleep/hibernate because if I return to it while the RAM is still powered during normal sleep mode, there is never an issue when resuming.

I downloaded the Deep Sleep widget that forces the deep sleep / hibernate mode just for testing and it simply never works when parallels is running. If Parallels 7 is running when I try it, the laptop just boots up fresh when resuming.

13" MBA 1.7i5 / 4GB / 128GB SSD / Mac OS X Lion 10.7.1
    Parallels Desktop 7.0.14922

14. geofcorb

geofcorb Junior Member

I am having the same (or similar) problem. Brand-spanking new 11" MBAir (1.8GHz i7, 4GB RAM) w/Lion pre-loaded. Windows 7 installed in bootcamp partition. Running Windows through Parallels 7.

Frequently, but not consistently... if I close the lid with Parallels running, it will not awake from sleep... screen backlight turns on but that's about it. No problem noted when Parallels is not running. To rule out hibernate, I have disabled it via pmset but it has not had an effect.

15. UfukC

UfukC Junior Member

solution is easy. when mac os try to sleep pd must sleep as well and it should prevent mac os to sleep before it sleeps.

16. geofcorb

geofcorb Junior Member

Can you clarify? Is there something I need to do?

Experimentally, I have found there to be no problem if I put the Windows VM to sleep before I close the lid.

Interesting point is that on a previous device (also an 11" MBAir), I did not have to do so.

17. UfukC

UfukC Junior Member

pd developers must do something, not you, not me :)

18. DHarman

DHarman Member

Might be that your old air suspeneded rather than hibernated? Seems to be the cause of it. Guess what though, Fusion does the same thing. Arghhhh

19. MarcR

MarcR Bit poster

Same problem MBA13" Parallels 7 OSX10.7.2

Another me too post - brand new MBA, fresh copy of Parallels 7.

System seems to be OK if it sleeps for a short time but anything longer than a couple of hours and the mac wil not wake, fully, just a black screen with the backlight on. Only way out is to force a reboot with the power key.

Seems to happen only when Parallels has been left running but am going to test further.

20. MarcR

MarcR Bit poster

Followed this up by contacting Parallels support and have been told that i should suspend the VM before shutting the lid each time.

I pointed out that I never had to do this for any previous version of Parallels or OSX and was told it was because I am using Parallels 7 with OSX Lion. I questioned again if this was correct and no further clarification has been offered as to whether this is considered a bug. It is how it is.

It seems that the official Parallels answer is that users have to expect that upgrading to a new version of parallels and OSX means you have compromise the way you have worked previously.

Not good enough.