Pv5 - prl_disp_service consuming 99% cpu

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Parallels User, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Asleep

Asleep Bit poster

resource hog

I have the same problem with prl_disp_service hogging 99% of a CPU. I did the sudo kill and submitted a problem report 9616868. Is there any workaround? I rely on Parallels to do my work, on battery power, and this is a big problem for me. Thanks.

2. Rich Walsh

Rich Walsh Bit poster

For the record, upgrading to 6.0.12094.676494 made no difference (8 days later - without using Parallels - and I wake my machine to find that prl_disp_service is using a whole CPU again). This is dull. I submitted a problem report a while back; no reply…

3. GregLin

GregLin Bit poster

Not sure if still wanted, but I just found this thread and sent Report ID 9633717

4. martimer

martimer Bit poster

This just started happening to me as well. Yes I can run the automator scripts to shut it down (or use the Terminal) but why should I have to? If I am not running Parallels there is no reason for the daemon to be running. If the daemon runs as part of a Parallels autoupdate, it should deactivate itself when done.

It seems to me that the problem is within the coding of the daemon itself and I request that you guys fix it. It is an annoying bug that has been around for three versions (at least) based on a quick search of the forums.

Thanks, Marty

5. PaulMir

PaulMir Bit poster

Same problem with V6 and OSX 10.6.8

The problem report was successfully sent with id: 9637273

Paul

6. ajf200

ajf200 Bit poster

I'm having the same issue with Mac OS X 10.6.8 and Parallels Build 6.0.12094 (Revision 676494; July 13, 2011). Every time I turn it on or come out of suspend, prl_disp_service seems to be consuming 99% or 100% cpu.

7. ccourtney

ccourtney Bit poster

Running the most recent parallels and Snow Leopard and I'm still getting this problem. Report 9674639 sent as well.

8. GrahamSt

GrahamSt Bit poster

Same problem here. See problem report 9684658. After killing prl_disp_service I can now no longer start Parallels.

9. Neko

Neko Bit poster

100% better than 99%

Same here. Problem just developed. 10.6.8 and 6.0.12094 (July 13 revision). Parallels has been pretty bulletproof until this. Hope they fix it soon.

10. jonathan_david

jonathan_david Hunter

Guys. Can I please get some help on this on a 2010 MBP?

I'm new to mac and it has been a bit tricky to track this down but I see it is a big problem over here as well.

I can try getting into the registry but I need really specific instructions...

Can I get a ticket opened please?

Thanks.

11. TotoTron

TotoTron Bit poster

The problem report was successfully sent with id: 9794731

12. jonathan_david

jonathan_david Hunter

Hi. Thanks so much. Is it possible to add that this has also been happening with "prl_disp" and "kernel_task" (I think). prl_disp has been doing this on my machine for a long time.

thanks again.

13. JuliaDee

JuliaDee Bit poster

It's happened to me a number of times - hours or days after Parallels has quit this daemon suddenly starts running and using 99% CPU. My report ID is 9855764.

14. sjsherratt

sjsherratt Junior Member

Same Problem in Parallels 6, latest update, OSX 10.6.8. Problem submitted ID #9858241 (maybe 9858317 - it asked me to submit again because it couldn't connect because I killed prl_disp_service). Rebooting my system "fixed" it, but can't keep rebooting to correct a problem.

Build 6.0.12094
    (Revision 676494; July 13, 2011)

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  15. OtmanE

OtmanE Bit poster

Same problem here. It seems the problem has been around for a long time, I've seen threads since 2009, but the same issue is still around. I'm not going to ask this company to fix this issue anymore because all seems to be in vein as they don't listen to their "customers". If they don't get their act together soon, the same thing that's happening to HP will follow to them. Us consumers are smarter than what these companies would like to give us credit for. Just a general rant since discussing the issue in technical terms does not matter to them.

16. J.R. MacReady

J.R. MacReady Junior Member

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

17. J.R. MacReady

Same problem. Just started today. Woke my 2010 MBP (10.6.8) from sleep and it was running hot. Checked Activity Monitor and found prl_disp_service hogging 98-99% of CPU. Shut it down and problem ceased temporarily.

Looking for a patch. What's the estimated time-frame?

18. J.R. MacReady

Same problem. Just started today. Woke my 2010 MBP (10.6.8) from sleep and it was running hot. Checked Activity Monitor and found prl_disp_service hogging 98-99% of CPU. Shut it down and problem ceased temporarily.

Looking for a patch. What's the estimated time-frame?

19. TyN

TyN Bit poster

Same problem: 99% cpu usage for prl_disp_service. Killed it and generated a report:

prlsrvctl problem-report --send --stand-alone
    Operation progress 100%
    The problem report was successfully sent with id: 9919009

Unfortunately; I am trialling Parallels (thinking of abandoning VmWare Fusion) and haven't even been able to get my Windows7 VmWare VM to successfully convert into Parallels. Needless to say this, and my inability to create support tickets, has left me with a less than positive opinion of the product.

20. MAFletch

MAFletch Bit poster

Same problem here running P6/Win7(64bit) on MBP13(2010) w/Snow Leopard:

The problem report was successfully sent with id: 9926270