Kernel panics with 10.7.1 and Parallels 6.0.12094

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Blake Sobiloff, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Blake Sobiloff

Blake Sobiloff Bit poster

I just upgraded my host OS last night to 10.7.1 and since then I've had four kernel panics, all from Parallels. I keep getting a "TLB invalidation IPI timeout" panic. Anyone else seeing this behavior?

2. DeShawnB

DeShawnB Hunter

Hey Blake. I'll investigate this issue and get back to you.

3. CharleyK

CharleyK Bit poster

Happens to me too

I have an i5 iMac 27" with 8GB of memory, and after the 10.7.1 update, Parallels will kernel panic my machine every single time as the Windows 7 VM is booting.

4. Blake Sobiloff

Blake Sobiloff Bit poster

I thought that this may have been a fluke, as after about the fourth kernel panic my system stayed up the rest of yesterday and all day today. However, I created a new VM for Win7 (64-bit) this afternoon and had another kernel panic after one of the restarts required by the Win7 OS updates. This time it was a kernel trap type 6=invalid opcode. The com.parallels.kext.prl_hypervisor(6.0) was listed as the first kernel extension in the backtrace.

5. TheBum

TheBum Bit poster

I'm relieved to know I'm not the only one. My 2011 Mac mini got so screwed up that I had to reinstall 10.7 from scratch. I will wait to update to 10.7.1 again until the results of the investigation are known.

6. w2m3

w2m3 Bit poster

I'm seeing the same kernel panic with 10.7.1 and Windows 7 64-bit. Once I do get it started, the Parallels icon in the menu bar also is unresponsive.

7. EkapolT

EkapolT Junior Member

Parallels Desktop cause kernel panic since 10.7.0 not just in 10.7.1. It really frustrated. Why can't they just fix it?

8. FidoCZ

FidoCZ Bit poster

I have same problem after updating to 10.7.1 , any suggestion ?

9. CaseyC

CaseyC Member

Has anyone gotten a workable solution from support yet? So far none of their suggestions has worked for me.

10. alev

alev Parallels Team

Hello all,

Unfortunately we need additional information (core dump) from you in order to investigate kernel panics. We could not reproduce them in lab.

To collect core dump you will need one more Mac connected to the one that experiences Kernel Panics. If you could reproduce the panic, have some time and another Mac - leave me private message. I will contact you and share the information about how to collect core dump and upload it to Parallels.

Thank you.

11. CaseyC

CaseyC Member

Hi Alev,

I tried to send you a private message, but I don't think it worked. Send me the instructions, and I'll try to collect a core dump for you.

12. alev

alev Parallels Team

13. RupertG

RupertG Bit poster

I have the same issue. However mine only panic which I leave Parallels running and in OSX go to the Login Window.
    I have a 2nd Mac, so I can send a core dump as well, just message me instructions etc...

14. alev

alev Parallels Team

Done.

Thank you.

15. EkapolT

EkapolT Junior Member

alev,

You can send me the instruction, I'm more than willing to help on this issue.

This issue happen several time a week in one of my mid-2011 iMac 21.5" (the other macs do not have this issue). I even try clean install Lion and latest PD6 on that Mac but can't solve the problem.

16. CaseyC

CaseyC Member

EkapoIT,

This is happening on my mid-2011 iMac 27". I have begun to notice that once it finally starts, I can shut down the VM and restart it multiple times without any problems. Additionally, it only seems to happen if I launch the VM right after turning the iMac on. If I wait a few minutes, then it starts up without any problems. I noticed that the panic log almost always lists the hardware sensor, so I wonder if it's related to the temperature inside the machine...

17. EkapolT

EkapolT Junior Member

CaseyC,

What you said is exactly what happened on my wife's 21.5" iMac (mid-2001), crash happen only on the first time VM boot right after log into Mac OS. If it does not crash on the first boot, the VM can shutdown and restart many time without any issue.

On my other Mac, 27" iMac (also mid-2011 model), it never crash at all.

18. TheBum

TheBum Bit poster

Same here.

I just had it happen running 10.7.0 last night.

19. JesterbeanA

JesterbeanA Banned

Better wait for new updates. I think they are working on this today. You might have observed that a lot of us are having issues with kernel panics with 10.7.1.[​IMG]

20. EkapolT

EkapolT Junior Member

Done.
    I just uploaded the kernel dump per your instruction.

From 21.5" mid 2011 iMac, latest PD6 and Windows7 32-bit guest.