Print screen on MBP

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by charlest, Feb 7, 2007.

1. charlest

charlest Member

How do I invoke a print screen button on a MacBook Pro computer?

2. Daisiechain

Daisiechain Bit poster

I have the same question. I write labs to teach with and I really need to be able to take Windows screenshots on my Macbook Pro.

3. joem

joem Forum Maven

Look in Mac help. Command-Shift 3 would be a start.

4. charlest

charlest Member

Thanks for your reply.

I would also like to be able to press the print-screen key inside Parallels, such that, I would be able to paste the contents onto an application running inside the guest OS.

5. RonC

RonC Bit poster

Command-Shift 4 will allow you to select an area of the Parallels window using a 'selection cursor'. The resulting picture will be saved to the Mac desktop.

6. AlanH

AlanH Pro

There's also a Make Screen Shot menu item under the Parallels Actions menu. I don't use it myself. since I only ever use Command-Shift-Control-4 to put a selected area on the Mac clipboard. However, the other magic item in the Parallels menus is "Help", and in the item on Screenshots it says:

This looks a lot like the Command-Shift-3 option, which has been in Mac OS since 1984.

[Update] I just tried the above menu option and it produced black images. So I'll stick with the normal Mac OS screenshot options:

Command-Shift-3 for an image file of the entire Mac screen on the desktop
    Command-Shift-4 for an image file of a selected area of the Mac screen on the desktop
    Add Control to the above combinations to put the images on the Mac clipboard.

Note that the resulting clipboard image will probably not paste into a guest OS program, unless it happens to handle pasted .png images.

Last edited: May 31, 2007