XP corrupt, snapshot won't work

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by susan larsson, Aug 27, 2011.

1. susan larsson

susan larsson Junior Member

After an improper shutdown (i thought my macbook pro laptop was plugged in after a storm, but the plug was still out of the wall and the battery ran out), windows xp won't start on parallels 5, snow leopard OS - it says that the following file is missing or corrupt:

\windows\system32\config\system

the message says i can attempt to repair this file using the original setup cd rom - which i don't have, because i am traveling, and did not bring the disks with me this trip. I tried to revert to a snapshot - and parallels said the files could not be found.

I have a time machine backup from August 1 (not great, but not awful) and individual program files backed up on the mac side are up to date. I would prefer not to do a full restore from time machine (I backed up yesterday after the crash, so I have a totally recent backup, but parallels and windows are not working properly).

Is there some way to just copy certain files from the Aug. 1 backup on top of the corrupt one? I found the Windows xpvm in finder on the Time Machine drive - can I just copy that on top of the one on the laptop? Or would I make things worse?

tia
    susan

2. susan larsson

just to add - parallels 5.0.9344

3. susan larsson

well, the solution was found by my techie son-in-law - we found the parallels mounter in the parallels file under library, and used it to display the windows files in the xp virtual drive hdd which was in user name/documents/parallels. an xp system files folder was empty, missing about 21 files which were located (with the mounter) in my last time machine backup and copied to the folder on the laptop - and everything is up and running (and completely backed up).