How to set application folder

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by anoun, Mar 20, 2011.

1. anoun

anoun Bit poster

I am new to Parallels and currently setting up my virtual machine in osx.
    After installation i noticed Parallels has created a folder /Applications/ in my home folder, with a folder for all the windows applications.
    Where i can set the folder for the windows applications?
    I don't want them in my home folder but located on another disk.

Thanks in advance!

2. anoun

anoun Bit poster

I just found out the actual windows applications are located within the PVM image file.
    So the windows applications folder exists of shortcuts and dock icons only.
    Are these only used for coherence/crystal mode?

3. n3p3nthess

n3p3nthess Bit poster

If you turn off coherence, is the application folder still created?

4. wonder_mice

wonder_mice Hunter

There is no way to change folder used to store Windows applications.
    The only way to remove it is to disable "Shared Windows applications with Mac" option in Vm configuration.

5. stinklyonion

stinklyonion Junior Member

do you mean that it cannot be renamed or alter in any way? but is there something we could do to move it within your Windows shared folder?

6. wonder_mice

wonder_mice Hunter

If you rename it, new folder with that name will be created.
    The only way to turn it off is to disable "Shared Windows applications with Mac" option in Vm configuration.

However you can try to move all its content to your home Applications folder ("/Users/stinklyonion/Applications/") and then remove it ("Applications (Parallels)" folder). New "Applications (Parallels)" folder will not be created until you launch some new windows application that is not in "Applications" or "Applications (Parallels)" folders yet.

7. Turboføhn™

Turboføhn™ Bit poster

I have "Shared Windows applications with Mac" disabled but Parallels still insists on creating the folder when I launch it, even though it will remain empty. How can I fix this?

I'm using Parallels 8 with Mavericks, but the problem also occurred with Snow Leopard 10.6.8.