Parallels Desktop for Mac build 3170 RC3 is available for download.

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by STim, Feb 15, 2007.

1. drval

drval Pro

Try removing any externally connected hardware (read any USB devices).

2. drval

drval Pro

Try removing any externally connected hardware (read any USB devices). And post your .pvs file if this continues. There may be a good clue in there about what's happening.

3. markintosh13

markintosh13 Member

3170 working well. Bridged networking continues to switch IPs every couple of minutes in a wireless situation, changed back to shared networking.

Other than that - works fine.

4. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

So, does this happen in both OS X and your vm(s)?

5. KSW

KSW Junior Member

USB don't work with Nokia E61

what an exciting status that would be, having the Nokia PC Suite capable of recoginzing my E61! The Windows' status bar shows the phone, no matter whether "autodetect" on or off - but the "Get Connected Wizzard" of the PC Suite simply waits...

Tested with

MacBook Pro 2,33 c2d, 10.4.8 all updates
    Windows 2000 SP4 all updates
    Nokia PC Suite 6.82 latest release

Is in particular for USB connectivity XP "better"...?

Regards, KSW

6. JordiPalet

JordiPalet Bit poster

Vista install fails, disk drive not recognized

When I try to install the Vista upgrade (from a VM with XP), the disk drive is not recognized by Vista, so it can't be installed. It keeps asking me for loading the driver. Where is this driver located ?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2007
  7. JordiPalet

JordiPalet Bit poster

IPv6 not working in 3170 RC3 with Wireless

Hi,

I was using an Ethernet connection in a MacBook Pro and IPv6 was working perfectly under XP VM.

However, I moved to Wireless and while IPv6 is still working in OS X, it doesn't work anymore in the XP VM.

Ipconfig /all and other tools tell me that everything is configured the same (stateless autoconfiguration with an IPv6 router in the LAN), but actually doesn't work.

It seems there is some difference in how the "virtual" network adapter performs when it is attached in the Mac side to the Ethernet port or the Airport one ?

I think it is a bug and I've reporte it already, but just in case somebody has a different experience ...

ping6 when using Ethernet:

C:\>ping6 www.ipv6tf.org

Pinging www.ipv6tf.org [2001:7f9:1000:1::103]
    from 2001:7f9:2000:100:1c27:4050:7fca:75e2 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 2001:7f9:1000:1::103: bytes=32 time=2636ms
    Reply from 2001:7f9:1000:1::103: bytes=32 time=3598ms
    Reply from 2001:7f9:1000:1::103: bytes=32 time=2934ms
    Reply from 2001:7f9:1000:1::103: bytes=32 time=856ms

Ping statistics for 2001:7f9:1000:1::103:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 856ms, Maximum = 3598ms, Average = 2506ms

ping6 when using Airport:

C:\>ping6 www.ipv6tf.org

Pinging www.ipv6tf.org [2001:7f9:1000:1::103]
    from 2001:7f9:2000:100:1c27:4050:7fca:75e2 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Reply from 2001:7f9:2000:100:1c27:4050:7fca:75e2: Destination address unreachable.
    Reply from 2001:7f9:2000:100:1c27:4050:7fca:75e2: Destination address unreachable.

Ping statistics for 2001:7f9:1000:1::103:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

(note the the delay is due to the congestion of my ADSL when I did this test, but is not an issue, as usually is same delay as in IPv4)

8. markintosh13

markintosh13 Member

Nope, just in the vm.

OS X maintains a steady connection with my ISP's proxy.

WinXP in vm, checked with ipconfig, changes IP frequently - dropping MSN every time.

9. MBX

MBX Member

the latest version seems slower to me than rc2. any other users experiencing the same?

10. pooru

pooru Bit poster

RC 3, build 3170, still won't activate the dongle - USB Key Ver 1.0 Microcosm Ltd. - without which I can't run the one application I need.

The dongle is detected and appears on the Devices menu. However, it works even less than 3150, which at least lit it up briefly. This one does nothing.

This dongle works fine under 1970. Mac Pro, X.4.8, guest OS Win2K.

?

(Have also sent to support.)

11. BillInSoBe

BillInSoBe Member

My OSX (10.4.8) is very clean as is my XP installation. No 3rd party drivers other then printer in OSX.

I need to make it very clear that Windows or OSX are not having problems. Windows does not trap or Blue Screen. OSX does not report issues or Kernel Panic (until Parallels crashes). In fact... if I didn't run Parallels I could leave my machine running for weeks at a time between reboots.

Running Parallels is causing the problem. More importantly it's running Parallels for long periods of time. If I want to run Parallels worry free I need to start it in the morning (when I get to the office) and shutdown in the afternoon (before I leave).

I'd prefer to be able to leave Windows running Monday morning - Friday Afternoon.

12. cconnor

cconnor Bit poster

Cheers for your suggestions. Even with USB off it still does the same thing :(. I've attached my pvs file.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2007
  13. drval

drval Pro

I see a few differences between your pvs file and what I use, particularly related to video. How relevant those differences are I don't know but you might want to consider making at least some of the changes and see what, if any, difference that makes.

Video Memory = 32

Start Full Screen = 23
    Start dashmode = 1
    Window Mode = 3

Video resolutions enabled = 1

14. MacCanuck

MacCanuck Bit poster

I just noticed that when I deselect the iSight from the USB device capture my CPU loading drops by about 15% or so. It runs consistently at 50% with the iSight connected, but only 20-30% when it is not enabled in the VM.

15. marc.heusser

marc.heusser Junior Member

Keynote (Apple iWork) instad of MediaShout?

Did you check whether Keynote (Apple iWork) could not do what you want? Might be easier than troubleshooting Windows programs.

16. pbw

pbw Member

So Parallels will run for at least 8hrs? That's interesting b/c it seems like most people who are reporting the unexpected quits are seeing it happen at random. In my case, it will crash in as little as 15-30 minutes or as long as 24 hours (2-3 hours on average).

Are you monitoring your memory usage? There was a wicked memory leak which was fixed with build 3150 (at least for me).

17. johnq@internode.on.net

johnq@internode.on.net Junior Member

Wireless Networking drops when VM loads

I haven't had an opportunity to exhaustively test this as yet, however since I have upgraded to 3170/RC3 I have noticed that wireless networking fails to start up correctly after loading the VM.

With RC2 I would simply start the VM and when it loaded networking within XP was operating as expected.

With RC3 I start the VM and once in XP no wireless connection is operating. I have to manually restart the wireless connection - after I do so everything seems to work fine.

Anyone else notice similar symptoms?

Regards

John

18. Gryzor

Gryzor Junior Member

Well, I can tell that when I have (or had) a crash (crashes) with Paralells, they looked like that: Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
    Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0001) at 0x169fa000

(The addr may vary).

That *could* be bad RAM, but I don't think that this is the case. This is just a memory violation. A bug :)
    A bad pointer, some leak... an array overflow...
    C/C++ is a tricky language to work with.

:)

19. MartinBear

MartinBear Member

KSW,

USB support in XP _is_ better than that in Win2K. That may explain why I can connect my E60 (with WinXP SP2) and you have no luck with Win2K.

My suggestions:
    1. Try uninstall/reinstall of the Nokia PC Suite
    2. If all else fails, move to XP (if that's possible for you).

Regards, MartinBear

20. phazer

phazer Hunter

this is a good version i am happy