A second XP VM keeps restarting in my back

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by fpillet, Feb 19, 2007.

1. fpillet

fpillet Junior Member

I'm seeing a really weird issue. I have several Windows XP SP2 VMs setup. Since I installed build 3170, the "main" VM I work with most of the time keeps restarting in the background whenever I run another Windows XP VM and something triggers it to start. For example, when I log in to another XP VM, when I touch the Automatic Updates panel, etc.

I've been using Parallels since the pre-1.0 betas, and it's the first time I'm seeing something like that. Is there anything to do to solve this ? I'm not exactly sure why Parallels thinks it needs to start this "other" XP VM, this is very strange.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2007
  2. ksenks

ksenks Parallels Developers

I need some information: RAM on your Mac, reserved memory limit in Parallels, memory on your VMs.

3. jrv

jrv Junior Member

Keep your VMs in seperate subdirectories and not all in the same directory.

4. fpillet

fpillet Junior Member

Mac is a MBP CoreDuo 2.0Ghz with 2Gb RAM, reserved memory limit in //s is set to "automatic", my Windows XP VMs all have around 768Mb RAM allocated. I filed a bug report this morning, detailed config should be included.

5. ksenks

ksenks Parallels Developers

Please try to set reserved memory limit in mode manually on maximum.
    And allocate 512Mb to every VM Windows XP.

6. fpillet

fpillet Junior Member

This didn't work. I configured both my VMs with 512 MB and the memory limit to max (1628 MB) to no avail. I start my secondary Windows XP VM, then if I open XP's Security Center, Parallels starts my other VM as soon as I click the "Automatic Updates" item in the Securiy Center.

Now what's even more weird: running the two VMs in OS window, when I click Start Menu -> Turn Off Computer in the first VM I started, Parallels brings the other VM (the one that automatically started) window to front! There's definitely some black magic going on there. I suspect an issue with Parallels Tools :confused:

Now following jrv's advice seemed to work. I put each VM in a separate subfolder of my VMs folder and this seemed to cure the problem. This is good, because I was not comfortable working with only 512Mb in at least one of the VMs. Visual Studio is a memory hog.

Thanks for the help! I still believe you have a bug lurking there ;-)

7. itsdapead

itsdapead Hunter

Try turning off "show applications in dock" in the Parallels preferences.

See this thread: http://forums.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=8401 - basically, application launch events from the guest OS are getting "reflected" back by the host - most windows apps ignore these reflections, a few don't. Now, if the app (say, Automatic Updates) were associated with a different VM that could give rise to your effect...

8. fpillet

fpillet Junior Member

Ouch! This sounds like it's what the problem was. I found a Windows Applications folder in my VMs folder with many duplicates, supposedly coming from the various VMs I'm using. Good catch, and thank for the hint.

9. jrv

jrv Junior Member

Or, as I said above, don't store the VMs all in one subdirectory. If each VM is in a different subdirectory the each has its own Windows Applications.