Specifying which monitor to use for full-screen mode?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by pchandra, Sep 2, 2011.

1. pchandra

pchandra Junior Member

Just upgraded to PD7 on an MBP 15" early 2011. I am using both the internal display and an external monitor hooked up via VGA cable. When I switch the VM to full screen mode, it goes full screen on the external monitor. I can specify "Use all displays in full screen mode" and then the VM goes full screen on both monitors. However, what I would really like to do is put the VM (Windows 7 Ultimate) into fullscreen on *just* the internal display.

Is there any way to specify which single monitor to use in full screen mode?

2. Hi,
    this is funny. I am trying to use the external Display, but it always uses the internal Display to go fullscreen.
    I have no idea how to change it though.

3. pchandra

pchandra Junior Member

Figured it out: whichever monitor has the menu bar on it becomes the "primary display", and the primary display is the one used for displaying VMs in fullscreen mode.

4. Well, but that's not a very good solution, if you want to use the external Display.
    I am using an iMac and an external Display for Parallels Windows 7.
    So with Parallels 7 I would have to put the menu bar to Windows 7 then?

There must be a different solution.

5. bfindlay

bfindlay Member

How to do it.

With parallels in windowed mode, drag the window onto the monitor you want to use, then choose full screen. It will use that as the primary display. The other display can be configured in windows if you like at that point.

6. That's how it used to be with Parallels 6 not with Parallels 7.